how do i obtain .mac address on a used imac?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by evansville, Oct 8, 2008.

1. evansville macrumors newbie

i bought my imac (leopard) used, but it wasn't really used, someone had just done the initial setup and nothing else. i didn't do a reinstall as there was nothing on the computer, i was able to change passwords with no problem, and i'm up and running, except for mail.

i want a .mac mail address and don't know how to get one, since mail was already setup on my machine. can someone give me some direction on how to obtain this address. :confused:

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

In other words you want to purchase a Mobile Me (formally known as .Mac) subscription?

This can be done from Apple's site (Link) or you can click the "Learn More..." button from within System Preferences > Mobile Me.

Or, if you already have the subscription, you can enter the info in System Preferences, and add your email address to Mail.app in Mail Preferences > Accounts.

However, if this was a used computer, you may want to at the very least create a new user account and delete the old one.

3. evansville thread starter macrumors newbie

Ouch, that's pricey!

it's going to cost me $100 a year, just to get a .mac email address? has this always been a paid subscription?

seems a bit excessive when applications like gmail are free.

4. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Yes, it's always been $100/year (although, some find it cheaper on Amazon or ebay).

Remember, it's much more than just an email account. However, you're right, it's still a bit pricey. Remember, Mobile Me is not necessary to enjoy all of the features on your Mac, so it's a purely optional service.

5. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

I don't think you can get .mac address anymore since it's now changed to .me address, unless you had .mac address before it changed....