How do I open a folder with the keyboard?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Evangelion, May 13, 2007.

1. Evangelion macrumors 68040

Maybe I'm stupid or somethimg, but.... How do I open a folder with the keyboard? I can move between folder with the tab-jey or the arrow-keys, but I can't open them. If I hit enter, it just prompts me to rename the folder. Hitting spacebar does nothing. How do I open it? I would like to keep my hands on the keyboard, instead of using the mouse, so any help would be appreciated.

2. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

command-down works, too, for opening folders. and command-up takes you to the parent folder.

3. Evangelion thread starter macrumors 68040

Thanks, bot suggestions work :). But I think I might look in to remapping it to Enter instead.

4. PkennethV macrumors 6502a

I know it's preference, but I think being able to rename folders/apps/documents etc. with Enter is really handy. Rather than trying to double click at the name with the right timing or rightclick>Rename in Windows.

5. Evangelion thread starter macrumors 68040

Well, I don't really rename stuff all the time, but I DO open and use them all the time. So it makes sense to make space or enter to do a common task, instead of having it do something that is not used that often

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Perhaps...I use Cmd-Down, primarily because Cmd-Up does the reverse (takes you up one level in the hierarchy). So I find they make a better pair of keyboard shortcuts than Return and Backspace (which do the same thing) in Windows. But give it a try, and if you want to remap it, remap it.