how do i open files etc

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by frera, Mar 9, 2008.

1. frera macrumors newbie

when i double click on files or documents my macbook says this operation could not be completed (or) there is no defualt application specified to open the document what do i use ??? or it sometimes says unable to read the dictionary of the application or extension because its not scriptable ????can anyone help please !!!!!!thanks

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

3. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

Can you give an example of a file you're trying to open?

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Give us the file extention (.xxxxxx). You may need a plug-in to open it.

5. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

Tell us what the kind of file is you're trying to open. Was it made in Microsoft Word or something similar?

6. frera thread starter macrumors newbie

i dont exactly knw i think its programs and documents/downloads sum times like .exe i know .exe is windows or microsoft but others dont seem to work when i try to open them it says my script editor cant open them

7. CrzyCanuck72 macrumors 6502a

.exe is a Windows program. You need to be downloading Mac programs. Look on versiontracker.com for Mac programs.

What documents are you unable to open, or is it just programs?

8. j.bond312 macrumors newbie

As the above post has said .exe are windows executable files and wont work on macs.

For macs you need to be downloading most likely .dmg file extensions to install software

Also to find out what the file extensions are, if you have turned it off within finder, right click on the file and select 'Get Info' and under the 'Name and Extension' tab will show you what file extension it is that you are trying to open.

Post any other extensions you are having trouble with and we can help