How do I open movie QT from 2007?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by kevs1, Jun 5, 2016.

1. kevs1 macrumors regular

I double clicked movie from 2007 (just something I shot), and it says converting, and it worked for a short clip, but longer clip failed. Then a message says to get a new software or download legacy qt.

I downloaded the legacy, but that did not help. any ideas. thanks!

2. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Depends on what codec has been used.

3. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

Try using VLC instead of Quicktime.

4. kevs1 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks guys, the orginal files are QT. Red, do you have a link to that you can recommend?

5. chabig macrumors 68040

QuickTime is a container, not a codec. T'hain Esh Kelch is exactly right--your ability to play the file depends upon which codec was used to create it, and whether your player supports that codec. Apple has taken a lot of the old codecs out of the current QuickTime Player. VLC still plays a lot of the old ones.

6. kevs1 thread starter macrumors regular

Ok Thanks. I downloaded VL and you drag a file on it, it works good, but with each one, only after about 1/3 way in; they all get a screeching sound and stops. I tried 3 files all about 12 min clips.

7. kevs1 thread starter macrumors regular

thanks Bright, that worked, but was a bit choppy, couple of questions.
    1) In Mac, it not a recognized developer, is system pref, I click make an exception and it still does not open
    2) I unlock the lock, get it to open, but when quit, I have to go through the same scenario, is that normal?
    3) The files I have start to convert in Quicktime but konk out. Why can't QT finish the conversion?