Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kevs1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 20, 2016
I double clicked movie from 2007 (just something I shot), and it says converting, and it worked for a short clip, but longer clip failed. Then a message says to get a new software or download legacy qt.

I downloaded the legacy, but that did not help. any ideas. thanks!

kevs1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 20, 2016
Thanks guys, the orginal files are QT. Red, do you have a link to that you can recommend?

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Thanks guys, the orginal files are QT. Red, do you have a link to that you can recommend?
QuickTime is a container, not a codec. T'hain Esh Kelch is exactly right--your ability to play the file depends upon which codec was used to create it, and whether your player supports that codec. Apple has taken a lot of the old codecs out of the current QuickTime Player. VLC still plays a lot of the old ones.

kevs1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 20, 2016
Ok Thanks. I downloaded VL and you drag a file on it, it works good, but with each one, only after about 1/3 way in; they all get a screeching sound and stops. I tried 3 files all about 12 min clips.

kevs1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 20, 2016
thanks Bright, that worked, but was a bit choppy, couple of questions.
1) In Mac, it not a recognized developer, is system pref, I click make an exception and it still does not open
2) I unlock the lock, get it to open, but when quit, I have to go through the same scenario, is that normal?
3) The files I have start to convert in Quicktime but konk out. Why can't QT finish the conversion?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.