How do I open the ram slot in G4

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by katelondon, Feb 9, 2008.

1. katelondon macrumors newbie

Hi, I have a iMac G4 (white dome) I have removed the base
    plate but cannot open the slot for my new ram. Is there a
    nack to it or do i need a special tool. Request is urgent because
    its laying dead on my desk :) Thanks Kate.

2. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

If you've removed the baseplate, the RAM slot should be visible. What kind of G4 do you have?

Here are the RAM installation instructions for the 17" 'swivel-head' G4 iMac. I did a RAM upgrade in one of these a few months back. Getting the RAM to seat well is a challenge (push hard, but carefully), but it was a straightforward process.
    http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=26239

3. katelondon thread starter macrumors newbie

Adding Ram

Hi, thanks for the reply. I must have been having a very blonde day. I was trying to open the part which holds the original ram instead of just slotting it in in front of it. Unfortunately having done this on system preferences it shows the slot as empty. Tried it more than once - dunno what to do now. Any ideas welcom. Thanks . Kate

4. Sly macrumors 6502

Sly

The iMac G4 only has one user accessible RAM slot. If you already have a smaller size stick in there you will need to remove it by prying open the metal strips that hold the sides of the stick, you should then be able to lift the stick to about 45deg angle and pull it out. Inserting the new RAM is the opposite of removal. If you haven't done this before, it takes a surprising amount of force to insert the new stick so it locates properly, try to only touch the edges of the stick.