How do I open this Cocoa Java application?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by cateariffic, May 23, 2008.

1. cateariffic macrumors newbie

I downloaded a scientific calculator, called CalculatorPlus 1.0.1. I ended up with "CalcultorPlus 1.0.1.dmg.sit" in my downloads. When I selected it TextEdit opened it. It's written in 'Cocoa Java'; therefore, I attempted to open it with Java and that didn't work. I nosed around various files containing the word Java, and even saw the word Cocoa, but I still couldn't sort out how to open it.

I noticed in another thread someone said people avoid Cocoa Java. Why is that? The app's release date was 2003 and it doesn't say anything about being tested on OS X 10.5 (which is what I'm using).

I'm dumping the thing, but I'd like to know whether it should or could work. And if it could I'd like to know how that's done. And if I shouldn't, I'd like to know why so I don't download similar useless/dangerous things in the future.

Thanks,
    Cate

2. matt90 macrumors member

Well, if you haven't unarchived the .sit file, you'll need to do that first. This can't be done without third party software. I recommend using The Unarchiver, a freeware application that supports many archive formats.After Unarchiving it, you can open the disk image (.dmg) and copy the application to your Applications folder.

3. cateariffic thread starter macrumors newbie