Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

carterx

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 4, 2006
I need to push out a rather large folder with files in it to a lab and figured maybe a package deployment would work best. ARD would not push the folder out or a zip of it. Guessing the 9GB folder is too large as it keep stalling and canceling itself.
Anyways if I can create a package I can get Munki to install it for me but so far I'm not having any luck understanding how to use the package utilities I've found. They seem to be configured the way they need to but do not compile correctly.

Anyways the short of it is that I have one folder with a bunch of files in it that needs to be copied to the root of the hard Drive. What is the easiest way to create a package to do this?

Thank you

ocabj

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2009
Theoretically, you could scp the files to all the workstations. Granted, I'm not a fan of running sshd on hosts that don't need it, especially to push files.

I would opt to go with a pull process such as with Puppet. You should look into Puppet, Chef, or even Ansible for this.

You could theoretically go with a sync'ed folder type deal like Dropbox/Onedrive etc, but this of course introduces third-party cloud issues, which may require you to stick with 'on-prem cloud'.

carterx

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 4, 2006
Theoretically, you could scp the files to all the workstations. Granted, I'm not a fan of running sshd on hosts that don't need it, especially to push files.

I would opt to go with a pull process such as with Puppet. You should look into Puppet, Chef, or even Ansible for this.

You could theoretically go with a sync'ed folder type deal like Dropbox/Onedrive etc, but this of course introduces third-party cloud issues, which may require you to stick with 'on-prem cloud'.
Thanks!

Sounds a bit more complicated than what I want to get into. I was hoping there was a way to just create a package to have it install the folder at the chosen spot.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
9gb?
Here's one way:

1. Buy several 16gb USB flash drives (cheap!)
2. Copy the folders to each flash drive.
3. Send the flash drives to the lab.

Not the most hi-tech solution.
But it will work.

carterx

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 4, 2006
9gb?
Here's one way:

1. Buy several 16gb USB flash drives (cheap!)
2. Copy the folders to each flash drive.
3. Send the flash drives to the lab.

Not the most hi-tech solution.
But it will work.

haha ya not what I did. I just spent 30mins logging into each computer in the lab and mounting a network share and copied the folder.

I was just really hoping for a quick way to package a folder and send it out from a Munki Server. I've run in the issue before with faculty forgetting files and need a quick way to push out. Normally ARD would work but 9GB in files seems to be too much.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.