How do i password protect a folder?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Tedsterb, Jun 22, 2010.

1. Tedsterb macrumors member

Ok so I know how to do it but heres the problem. What sucks is that lets say i protect a folder with a password, (command i and then sharing...) well it uses the same password that i log in with when i start up the computer, it doesnt let me choose a different one. So lets say someone finds out my log in password and logs in, then they can access that folder with the same password. Very very stupid that you can't choose different passwords. Ughh the stupidest thing ever, doesnt Apple think? Man that just makes me mad. Not that im worried about anything, but just stupid design. They didnt think it thru.
    Unless theres a way to put in a different password for the folder than it is for the log in.??

2. bigjobby macrumors 65816

How is it stupid? Its pretty stupid if you can't secure your own account login details don't you think?

What happens if you forget the different password to your folder? Then you'll say Apple's stupid for having the extra security feature. I'm sure there are already 3rd party tools you can use to do these kind of things so if you do forget the password, you can blame them instead.

3. Tedsterb thread starter macrumors member

It is stupid. Extra security is always good. Can't have enough these days. Thats why you memorize or write the passwords and put them in a safe place. Its stupid because like I said, if someone gets thru the log in password, they'll get into the folder or other passwords once logged in. Or lets say you give someone your log in password to use your computer, then they'll get into your folders....

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Tedsterb (is it like "Ted, die"?), permissions, what you describe, are not the same as password protection, as permissions are user specific and not really folder specific (if you talk about folders insider your home folder, as all those folders should have permissions set to your user, to read and write).

MRoogle on "password protect folder".

Can you password protect folders in Windows? I mean the folders inside ones' account, like the home folder, if Windows has something like this.

Again, one is permissions, the other one has been linked to in this and various other threads.

5. bigjobby macrumors 65816

1. If someone can guess your password, then your password isn't strong enough.

2. If someone else wants to use your computer, why not set up another account for this purpose?

Edit: Apologies for going slightly off topic.

6. Tedsterb thread starter macrumors member

Yea thats what i was thinking, making another "guest" log in access. :) Thanks.