How do I play .avi files in quicktime?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by stateofmind, Feb 19, 2008.

1. stateofmind macrumors regular

Also tried it on VLC, no luck.

To give you my situation:

I click on "Arrested Development Episode 1.avi" but quicktime says "This movie could not be opened...this file is not a movie file."

I searched around and people said download 3ivx, so I did, I installed it but still nothing. Same with DivX codec.

What am I doing wrong?

2. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

Not sure. I play .avi files in QT all the time -- mostly short clips taken off digital cameras. Does Mac OS X recognize these movie files as QT related files?

3. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

From what I understand, .avi is a wrapper so there is no "avi codec" so much. An .avi could be any one of numerous codecs. I'm not sure how you discern which one it is though. What settings did you use to rip the episode from DVD?

4. DarkHeraldMage macrumors 6502a

DarkHeraldMage

5. stateofmind thread starter macrumors regular

I just installed Perian...the file still wont play.

Am I doing something wrong in my installations? For Perian,DivX and 3ivx all I did was install the file...do I have to link it to Quicktime in anyway or is that automatic?

6. gothamm macrumors 6502a

7. DarkHeraldMage macrumors 6502a

DarkHeraldMage

It should be automatic. I'd get rid of DivX and the other - the only video tool you need is Perian on the Mac. But if even VLC won't open it, the video itself is probably corrupt. Avi files will run through QT using Perian, or through VLC alone. Try another avi file or try that one on a PC with DivX installed. I think you'll find the problem is with the file.

8. stateofmind thread starter macrumors regular

I mentioned it in the opening post that VLC did not play it either. It seems to play it for 2 secs but no video or sound...the playtime goes for 2 seconds and just stops.

9. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

What settings/program did you use to rip it? Then we can probably tell you what codec it is.

You may be able to convert it to another format with Visual Hub or reencode it from the source.

10. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

It sounds like the video file is corrupt. If you downloaded it through a torrent or whatever, then you get what you pay for.

11. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

Bad File

I betcha the .avi movie file is CORRUPT. If it will not play in any of the above media players than that file is most likely JUNK.

Sorry dude :eek:

12. stateofmind thread starter macrumors regular

13. gothamm macrumors 6502a

haha, my fault. VLC is my default answer to everything. did you try repairing the file index? if that doesn't work then:

I'd agree with with Silentpanda. There are formats that even vlc can't recognize at times and I just use visualhub to convert them.

14. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

Thought so. See my reply above. Out of curiosity, how many MB is the video file?

15. stateofmind thread starter macrumors regular

16. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

It's either damaged or it hasn't finish downloading.

Torrents typically download random blocks of data, thus usually you have to wait for the whole thing to finish.

Assuming the file is not corrupt, one of these will work
    - VLC player
    - Flip4Mac
    - Quicktime codecs (if non-supported format, quicktime will send you to that page that includes divx, etc.)

If you like something, then you should buy it or rent it. Is it available on iTunes?

17. stateofmind thread starter macrumors regular

I deleted the file, but I tried all those methods with no luck...no use to getting a huge headache

18. joad macrumors newbie

i have a mbp. and after reading this post i had removed all DivX stuff and then installed perian, at first all my movies worked fine then i had to reformat my external h/d so i reinstalled all my movies now some movies are being played without sound or some of them is being played with the sound way before the picture. anybody? t.y.

19. Morod macrumors 68000

Morod

I'm not sure if this will help you, but sometimes I get files QuickTime won't play, and the following site transcodes anything I throw at it into a file QuickTime can use:

http://media-convert.com/convert/

Hope this helps.
    Morod

20. joad macrumors newbie

21. ddmak macrumors newbie

Here's the link that has instruction on getting the leopard version of Xvid video Components and A52 audio for Quicktime...http://installingcats.wordpress.com...odec-movies-on-quicktime-in-mac-os-x-leopard/

DDmak

22. Lord Zedd macrumors 6502a

Lord Zedd

If Quicktime with Perian and VLC won't play it then the video is fake/corrupt. Delete it and download a different video.