how do i play AVI files !?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by s3o0d, Aug 23, 2010.

1. s3o0d macrumors newbie

my ipad isn't jailbroken but i would love to play avi files on it, if i JB it would i be able to play avi's on it ?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

It can only play .avi files encoded with the M-JPEG codec. Handbrake can transcode your .avi files to an iPad compatible format, just use the Apple TV preset.

TV and video
    Support for 1024 by 768 pixels with Dock Connector to VGA Adapter; 576p and 480p with Apple Component AV Cable; 576i and 480i with Apple Composite AV Cable

H.264 video up to 720p, 30 frames per second, Main Profile level 3.1 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps per channel, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; MPEG-4 video, up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; Motion JPEG (M-JPEG) up to 35 Mbps, 1280 by 720 pixels, 30 frames per second, audio in ulaw, PCM stereo audio in .avi file format​

found on http://www.apple.com/ipad/specs/

To contradict my signature motto, MRoogle results on "avi on ipad" give you some of the following examples:

AirVideo is another way to view non-iOS compatible video formats on an iOS device.

3. s3o0d thread starter macrumors newbie

i understand that it can only play that kind but isn't there a way to play xvid files on it without converting ?

4. celticpride678

Nope, the iPad only supports certain media formats and if one isn't supported, you have to convert.

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Maybe look into Jailbreaking or some of the threads I added to my post. AirVideo is also an often recommended alternative.

6. saberahul macrumors 68040

I'd get the CinePlayerX application. It's for free and can play .avi as well as xvid. Find it in the app store. It's really a great app.

7. shandyman Suspended

Cinexplayer plays avi's and xvid's, when you have the ipad hooked up to itunes, go to apps and scroll to file sharing, click on cinexplayer, and then just add the files you want and it copies them over.

or you could use airvideo, it streams any video converting them on the fly over wifi, or over the internet if you configure it right. you can also set it to convert videos and then transfer them into itunes to be copied over to your iPad, can set it to do as many conversions as you like, there's a free version to try, the full version costs, but its well worth it.

8. seula macrumors newbie

You can also use oplayer hd and yxplayer. Both cost about 5$, but they support subtitles and 720p divx playback.

9. Seamaster macrumors 65816

Seamaster

Negative. CinePlayerX plays 'em.

Negative. No JB-ing required.

10. Nickinev macrumors newbie

Air video will also play them (you can convert before watching or while watching).

Nicole

P.S. Didn't read close enough - i saw that someone already posted this. Sorry about that!!

11. vijayvasa macrumors member

Oplayer is ur answer

Oplayer HD plays all the avi and divx files, I have tested it yesterday and its a lot better than CINEXplayer,,, check it out.

And it also supports usb uploading ,,,,i havent tested it , but read it on the app.

12. VideoBeagle macrumors 6502a

Just a FYI,

I'm doing a big testing of iPad Video/Cinexplayer/OPlayer/AirVideo with around 20 test files of different codecs and resolutions. I have a final battery of tests to do, hopefully this evening, and then I'll post what I've found.

13. bluedog3401 macrumors regular

Thanks, I look forward to your results. I've simply converted a bunch of videos and keep the copy on-hand on the computer for syncing as I want them and use AirVideo to handle on-the-fly conversion for streaming.

It would be really nice to find the best performing of the 3rd party apps. Please include the version numbers of each app for your comparisons, as these apps are likely to be updated and change their future performance and supported playback abilities.

14. jordanogrady macrumors 6502

I would love to know the outcome of this, as son avi's dont play using cineXplayer, although its a great simple app! Saves converting files and messing about!

Jordan

15. drenline macrumors 6502a

drenline

16. bluedog3401 macrumors regular

You know I think its appropriate for Apple to try and support some of the common formats OTHER than Apple's endorsed and used formats. There are LOTS of consumer video devices that record in AVI format. The iPad is NOT a Mac or Mac-only device and plenty of Windows PC owners are buying and using these devices. It is more common to find AVI format videos when using a PC and third party hardware.

M-JPEG avi's are a start, but please Apple include some additional codec support in the native Video Player for iPad/iPhone/iPod Touches.

17. jordanogrady macrumors 6502

How are you getting on with this testing?

Joradn

18. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

http://www.apple.com/feedback/

19. bluedog3401 macrumors regular

Thanks for the link. I suggest anyone interested in this feature follow and submit their request. The more who voice their interest, the more likely they are to consider implementing them (other than the barrier of having to pay licensing fees for use of some codecs).

20. VideoBeagle macrumors 6502a

I've finished the testing, now I need to actually put the results into something usable by people who aren't me :p

Edit: Looks liike oPlayer updated last nite, so I'll be running tests on the update to add as well.

21. VideoBeagle macrumors 6502a

I finally got the report/review written up, if folks are still interested.
    It's in the app's forum

I've done some tests/comparisons of several of the video apps available for the iPad.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1012979

22. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

VLC is suppose to be release this week for free, you will be able to play AVIs and other format right on your iphone/iPad with no additional hacks

23. VideoBeagle macrumors 6502a

There are several programs already available that make similar claims (see my review/report on them). I plan on doing an addendum when/if VLC comes out.