How do I 'point' home folders to different drives?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Kingcodez, Aug 22, 2009.

1. Kingcodez macrumors 6502

Kingcodez

I have a OCZ Vertex SSD as my main, and I put a 500GB Scorpio Blue in my optibay for storage. I want to move my 'Movies' Folder off of the SSD (which has the OSX installation) to the other drive. I can't just copy the folder, how do I go about doing this.

In win7 I would do this all the time with different partitions, just click around and change the target destination.

I basically wanna move jus a few folders in my home folder, not the whole directory. I want my pics and music on my SSD, Torrent, Movies, Games on my Spinner.

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

So you want an alias (shortcut)? Pick an item in Finder, go under the File menu and Choose alias. You can also drag the file/folder to another place and holder the alt/option key while you release and it will create an alias.

3. CMelton macrumors regular

CMelton

I think what the OP means is he wants to have his movies folder on his 500gb drive in his optical bay as a default. So when he saves movies from the web (just an example) they automatically save to the 500gb drive instead of onto his SSD which he wants to keep with mainly his operating system and other documents on.

I know this is possible as I have seen another thread on it at some point but I am afraid I can't for the life of me remember the steps to do this!

Hope this helps someone answer the question.

4. Kingcodez thread starter macrumors 6502

Kingcodez

Exactly, I want my default location for movies to be changed from the home folder, to instead have an alias that points to the second HDD. But the problem is, I CAN put an alias there, however it CANNOT delete the 'old' movies folder, because 'it is needed by OSX'.

5. Kingcodez thread starter macrumors 6502

Kingcodez