How do I prepare an iphone 3g 16gb to be sold.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sandkicks, Jun 6, 2009.

1. sandkicks macrumors member

How do i prepare an iphone 3g 16gb to be sold on ebay, craigslist, etc.

i am looking to buy the iphone 3 when it is released.

what do i tell att when ishow up with no iphone in hand to buy the new iphone.

2. The General macrumors 601

1. Remove SIM card.
    2. Settings > General > Reset > Reset all content and settings

3. sandkicks thread starter macrumors member

thanks guys. also any tips for selling it. i dont want to be mugged doing craiglist or get ripped off doing ebay either. thanks again.

do i take out the sim card and keep it for my next phone and again what do i tell att when i ask to buy a new phone. also how much should i be going for in price. thanks.

4. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

Unless their an AT&T rep and have access to your account, they won't be able to help you with that. You will need to talk to AT&T about it and depending on your account status (how long you've been with them, etc) they will decide how much you will pay for a new phone.

5. sandkicks thread starter macrumors member

Sorry my reply is a little confusing.

I meant do i tell att i lost my iphone, cause telling them i sold it to buy the new one probably would be a bad idea.

I was just offered 360 for the phone, should i wait for another higher offer.

6. hitman45400 macrumors regular

Remote SIM card??

7. The General macrumors 601

Remove. Fixed. :rolleyes:

8. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

Another dumb but related question.

Lets assume:

1) Person A has an iPhone 3G, not unlocked, on ATT network.

2) Person B has an original iPhone, not unlocked, on ATT network.

Now, lets suppose Person A wants to sell his phone to Person B.

Is it as simple as doing the major reset, removing the SIM, exchanging the cash for the phone, and person B just puts their SIM in their newly acquired used 3G from Person A?

9. The General macrumors 601

No. Person B needs to call AT&T and change their plan to the 3G plan, which costs more.

10. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

Thanks General.

But other than that, there are no "hang ups?"

Cool.

11. dmk1974 macrumors 68000

dmk1974

Hi guys,

I thought I'd continue this thread instead of starting a brand new one.

I would like to do the same as the OP but also jailbreak and unlock it prior to listing on ebay. I have a black 3G 16GB iPhone that is two months old and need to get top dollar so I can recoup some of the $499 I just threw down for the new one. This black 3G 16GB has been upgraded to 3.0, jailbroken via redsn0w and unlocked via ultrasn0w. I want to make sure everything is wiped so there are no personal traces on it. Below are the steps that I think I need to take, but want to see if I am missing anything. Ideally, I can do all of this without placing my 3GS SIM card in it even temporarily.

Also, I am using a PC.

1.) On the iPhone, go to Settings>General>Reset>Erase All Content and Settings (this should then take a couple hours).
    2.) Dock iPhone and run redsn0w per the iClarified steps here: http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=4301
    3.) Turn on WiFi and connect to a public network.
    4.) Go into Cydia, run and apply whatever updates there are, and add ultrasn0w per the iClarified steps here: http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=4253

Now, can I actually do all of this without ever activating the phone through AT&T nor having the SIM in the phone? Please let me know if any of my steps are incorrect or if any are missing.

Thanks!