How do I preserve baseband 3GS 5.01

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by dread, Jan 30, 2012.

1. dread macrumors 6502a

I have a 3GS jailbroken and unlocked on iOS 4.1. I know using pawnage tool will allow me to preserve my baseband and I have watched and read many tutorials on how to update to iOS 5.01 without updating the baseband but all are slightly different and none say exactly which step prevents baseband updates. Do all custom firmwares made with pawnage tool prevent baseband updates or is there something that needs to be changed? I cannot lose my unlock ability so I am trying get as much info as possible as to not screw it up.

2. dread thread starter macrumors 6502a

By the way the phone is my old AT&T iPhone. Do I need to click the activate box since I no longer use the phone in the US and will this update the baseband?

3. ninjaw95 macrumors 6502

use the cfw generated by pwnagetool, it will allow the baseband to stay the same when updating to 5.0.1

what you need to do is
    1.) put the iPhone in PWNED DFU mode which can be completed with redsn0w or pwnagetool

2.) set the itunes servers to apple

3.) shift (option) click on the restore button on itunes and use the cfw gerated by pwnagetool.

5.0.1 with the same baseband from before

4. dread thread starter macrumors 6502a

So it does not matter if I check the activated box or not. All CFW generated by pwnagetool preserve the baseband?

5. ninjaw95 macrumors 6502

yep. if your using at&t right as of now with the phone or you have a sim card then do not check activate

if you dont have at&t then click activate

but if you can access an at&t sim card go with that method, its better. with the hactivate method where you check the box you will not get push notifications

6. dread thread starter macrumors 6502a

great thanks