How do I prevent Safari from deleting history?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Intelligent, May 17, 2014.

1. Intelligent, May 17, 2014
    Last edited: May 17, 2014

Intelligent macrumors 6502a

Intelligent

Argh! :mad: I chose in the settings that i will delete history manually, but everyday it deletes my oldest history, for example todays oldest is august 1, but tomorrow it will be august 2, i hate it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. AndyK macrumors 65816

AndyK

For what possible reason would you want browsing history from back in August last year for?

Either way, make sure you do have it set to manual & make sure you are viewing all the history items & there isn't more further back.

3. Intelligent thread starter macrumors 6502a

Intelligent

Why not? I already said in the main post i have it delete manually and i am scrolling down to the absolute bottom, and i check everyday to see that, it goes from may 28 to may 29 etc.

4. AndyK macrumors 65816

AndyK

A screenshot would help to figure this out.

5. saberahul macrumors 68040

How much storage do you have left on your computer?
    Have you tried changing it to Manually and then restarting Safari? I know you changed it but have you tried restarting it?
    Maybe try restarting your computer - doubt this will help

6. Intelligent, May 18, 2014
    Last edited: May 18, 2014

Intelligent thread starter macrumors 6502a

Intelligent

A screenshot of what?

I have 50GB left so thats not the problem i will try chaining to 1 year, restarting then chaining back.

7. Intelligent thread starter macrumors 6502a

Intelligent

So i tried resetting all of my safari preferences but no matter what it keeps deleting it, i really want this fixed.

8. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Well now, that really didn't answer the question, did it?

9. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

I expect that you have some OTHER setting that removes your history, perhaps each time you reboot your Mac, or simply each time you relaunch Safari, and some period of time has passed since the last time you opened Safari.
    If you set it for One Year, or some other real interval, you can monitor that the history continues to accumulate.
    The "manual" history setting may even have a bug, where it might assume that some system event triggers your so-called "manual" history setting, etc.
    Leave it on some real interval other than "manual", and watch if the history is maintained during that period. You will likely be able to verify that within a few days.

10. Intelligent thread starter macrumors 6502a

Intelligent

Well, no. But i like keeping history? I like calculating stats for which websites i have visited the most etc. I just like having it there.

11. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

It's old but try this suggestion http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20050320135057447

You can also copy the history.plist file every so often to get a backup.

12. Fishrrman macrumors G3

This may not be "the best way" to do it, but it should work.

Go to your
    home/Library/Safari
    folder, and copy the file named "History.plist" to some OTHER LOCATION (desktop might be a good enough place).

This will keep a record of the history, but actually viewing it and making sense out of it can be a different prospect altogether.

You can open History.plist with a text editor, and manage to "pull out" the saved URLs.

I believe you can also open and view it with Property List Editor Pro.

But as others have mentioned above, this really doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Old versions of the history should be left to..... history....