How do I print this iCal calendar?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Shamus, Jan 10, 2010.

1. Shamus macrumors 6502a

Shamus

Hi everyone,

I've made a calendar in iCal organizing the shift roster for 4 people at my work. Its a security job, so there are 'Day' shifts and 'Night' shifts. Starting at 5.00AM and 5.00PM respectively and running for 12 hours.

The problem I am running into occurs when I go to print. Instead of having the nice layout that it does in the actual editable calendar where it just says Day and Night (image 1), it is adding the times of the shifts (image 2).

What I am trying to be able to do is simply print out the calendar as it appears in the program in the first place. Anyone know how to do this?

Thanks. :)

These are the images illustrating the problem.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      108.6 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      84.6 KB
      Views:
  2. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

screenshot of the ical and print it via photoshop or preview?

3. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

You could use all day events instead. That way you will only see the event and not the time.

Plus, with all day events, it would be easier to see the color for who is working the shift.

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed, this is what I would do.

5. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

OP, would appreciate feedback on whether or not the all day events will solve your needs.

6. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Agree - All day Events would work. Title "Tom 5a-5p" and "Alice 5p-5a". Different color for each worker.

7. Shamus thread starter macrumors 6502a

Shamus

Thanks guys. I tried the all day method, however this then changes the order of the events. On some days it lists 'Day' before 'Night', but then on other days it lists them the other way around. I know this is a small problem, however it means the colours are all over the place and at first glance one cannot see the pattern that the shifts follow.

Is there any way to change the order of all day events listed on particular days? Then this would be a perfect solution.

PS I tried simply dragging them into the correct order, which works temporarily until one closes the program, or switches months etc. Then they return to their out of order way.

8. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

I'm not at my home computer, so I can't confirm, but there has to be some rule governing the order (? alphabetical). If so, "5am-5pm Tom" would always come before "5pm-5am Sally". Figure out the "rule" and you can get around it.

9. Ardoptres macrumors regular

Press command, shift and 4 at the same time, select what you wanna print. Open the screenshot and print.

10. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

If I understand correctly, you have two shifts.

If so, then you could enter your events like this:

Day 1:

Shift 1 - Tom (5AM-5PM)
    Shift 2 - Sally (5PM-5AM)

Day 2:

Shift 1 - Sally (5AM-5PM)
    Shift 2 - George (5PM-5AM)