How do I program my Mac to take over my PC when away from Home?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MacBlackBook22, Jul 11, 2007.

1. MacBlackBook22 macrumors 6502

MacBlackBook22

Does anyone know how I can program my Macbook so that I can do a remote desktop to my windows computer when I am away from my home network?

I have already set up remote desktop for when I am at home and want take over my windows machine.

When I was using the linksys router I was able to do this but don't know if this is possible now that I have the Airport Extreme "N" ????

2. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

This was from a few years ago but it still might be helpful:

3. MacBlackBook22 thread starter macrumors 6502

MacBlackBook22

Thanks Fleetwood Mac.
    I have done the changes in Airport but how do I set the windows computer to this ip???

4. SirCrumpet macrumors regular

SirCrumpet

thats done by going into control panel -> network connections then right clicking on the Local Area Connection and choosing properties, then oing into the TCP/IP properties and changing from "automatically assign" to setting your own.

(off the top of my head - i'm not infront of a windows pc, so the wording might be a bit different)

5. MacBlackBook22 thread starter macrumors 6502

MacBlackBook22

Still not working

I finally got the PC to have that ip address. I can connect again within my home network set up but I tried using a neighbours wireless signal to connect to the PC and no go it wouldn't connect.. Any ideas on what I may have missed doing?:confused:

6. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

you need to know what your external IP address is, that is, the IP address that your ISP assigns you.

7. MacBlackBook22 thread starter macrumors 6502

MacBlackBook22

Okay I have that info too. In what area's do I put the internal and external address? step by step instructions would really help me out, thanks so much for helping me. :)

8. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Ok there is much easier way of doing this through VNC.

On your PC go download TightVNC it will come with a server app. This app has to be open and set a password, you can set it as a startup item by placing it in the startup folder in your programs folder (I think thats where it is). Get your world IP and www.whatismyip.com.

On your Mac get ChickenVNC (Apple Remote Desktop works too if you have it) and then from anywhere you can dial in the world IP address (you may have to do a port forward to your PC's IP address for port 5900). And you will be prompted for a password. Boom, you'll be remote desktopping in no time.

EDIT: To easily figure out your PC's IP address (you don't really have to change the IP, you just have to know it). Go to your DOS Prompt program (programs>accessories>prompt) and typin in IPCONFIG. It'll show the local IP address.

9. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

If your computer is on the DMZ of your router, then the only thing you'll need is the external IP address.

10. scanlanlee macrumors member

scanlanlee

Instead of using VNC check out Logmein use the free service and you will be able to connect to your PC from any web browser -

11. MacBlackBook22 thread starter macrumors 6502

MacBlackBook22

It works!!!

Thanks Swiftaw that worked just fine putting in my IP address of the windows machine. I went to my brothers house and used his wireless connection and was able to login and take over the windows computer at my house!!!! woohooo. Thanks to all for the great help. :):):)