How do I protect my Applications folder?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by wankey, Mar 16, 2009.

1. wankey macrumors 6502a

One problem OS X has is that anyone who has access to my MBP whilst it is signed in can delete entire applications at will (very easily and very little time consuming)

How can I make it so that to delete an app, you'll need to enter a password?

It's simply because a few friends and I have been playing pranks on each other... just trying to secure my laptop in case they get their hands on it while its logged in.

2. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X 10_4_11; en) AppleWebKit/525.27.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.2.1 Safari/525.27.1)

Create a new admin account and then convert your normal account to standard. That way you'll have to authenticate to make changes to the Applications (among many other things).

3. kayanat macrumors newbie

How do you password protect an individual folder or application? I have a shortcut to my windows calender on my desktop, I would like to make it password protected? I have certain folders in my 'my photos' folder that I would like to do the same for, is there a way to do this?

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You'll need to make an encrypted disk image.