How do I protect my MBP from dents and scratches?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thatscaredkid, May 15, 2013.

1. thatscaredkid macrumors newbie

Hey Guys,
    I love my Macbook Pro. And I guess for too much. But I have a phobia of the aluminium being too easy to be scratched or dented , even though It doesn't have any scratche or dent. Now I am just too and way too careful to use it.
    Tell me supportive things. Please!!. I just want it to be in perfect condition for at least 4 years.I don't take it out even now.

2. darkside flow, May 15, 2013
    Last edited: May 15, 2013

darkside flow macrumors 6502

I'm going into the third month of using my rMBP 13" and I have the same sort of phobia as you have - same with all my Apple products.

The one thing I've learned is that it's not bad to be very careful with it. It's an expensive machine and it should be cared for as such. BUT don't baby it to the point where you don't use it.

I hate plastic cases and films for my Apple products and with some care during normal use, my "naked" macbook is still in perfect condition.

Get a sleeve (I recommend Booq sleeves) to protect when you're not using but otherwise, just enjoy the feel of it.

The thing with the brushed aluminum that Apple uses is that even if you get light scuffs here and there, they are barely noticeable. I find that with my iPad especially. At the end of the day, it's really hard to make noticeable dents or scratches unless you're dropping it, putting it in your bag with sharp objects, using it with rings or bracelets on, etc. The build quality really is great.

Head to the Apple store to get some cleaning products to alleviate the "OCD" but don't forget to use and enjoy the product because that's what you paid for! :)

3. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

not even therapy will keep your MBP perfect.

Just enjoy your Mac and be careful with it ... these feelings will pass :D

4. thatscaredkid thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you all

Thanks to all you nice folks. I want to vanish this sort of fear that I have. So.....

5. fskywalker macrumors 65816

fskywalker

Buy a Speck or similar case, have one on my rMBP, like it a lot.

6. Chuck-Norris macrumors 6502a

7. BigBeast, May 17, 2013
    Last edited: May 17, 2013

BigBeast macrumors 6502a

Tom Bihn "brain cell" + Tom Bihn back pack = all the protection you should need when traveling. When you're using the MBP, keep it on a flat table.

Had a Speck case a while back. I didn't like it. Dirt/dust was able to get in between the aluminum and the inside of the Speck shell, potentially leading to scratches on the surface of the MBP over time.

Tried Booq as well- didn't like it. I take very good care of my rMBP. I wouldn't use anything but Tom Bihn.

8. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

I tried to be careful with mine and I am, but small scratches happen when I'm taking it to school everyday unfortunately.

9. phoenix78 macrumors member

Simply dont bump or scratch or drop it or drop stuff on it.

Dont scratch the bottom case also. So you need to be careful what surface to use it on.

Dont shift objects over it because things can fall on it.

Use a sleeve when carrying it. Use a padded bag when transporting it.

blah blah <insert next instance of paranoid behaviour here and repeat until exhausted>.

Its common sense really.

10. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

My MBP is 4 years old and still in pretty good shape. I really like the Incase neoprene sleeves for travel. I also put it under the machine when I have it sitting on a desk or a table even at home. I have some minor scratches but no major dents. One corner of the casing around the screen has bent a little bit, but that seems to be an unfortunate issue with using a backpack for transport. If you're not a student, you might consider a messenger case instead.

11. hayleywow macrumors regular

hayleywow