How do I publish a website using iWeb to Startlogic?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by 4kids2feed, May 27, 2008.

1. 4kids2feed macrumors newbie

I am trying to help my brother in law out by designing a website for his new small business, only he already purchased a domain space via Startlogic. I tried to design one using their templates and such, but I am so used to iWeb, that I just get so frustrated! So, I would like to know if anyone out there can specifically help a newbie like me, to upload a folder ( I publish to a folder first) to startlogics domain space? I need specifics, as my husband is the MAC pro and usually helps out with such problems, only he is in Iraq :(

Thank you!

2. telecomm macrumors 65816

telecomm

By 'domain name' you mean 'web hosting plus a domain name' right? The domain name is just the 'www.mysite.com' type thing, which points wherever you'd like it to point. You want it to point to content of some sort, and that content has to be hosted on a server somewhere.

I'd guess that your brother in law has the whole package (domain name + hosting), so you'll need to do two things.

1. Get the FTP server details from the company that will host your site.
    2. Use an FTP program (like Cyberduck) to upload your content to the hosting service. If this is the family computer, you might have Cyberduck, Transmit, or some other FTP program already on your computer.

That should be it.

3. 4kids2feed thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

Wow. That sounds easy enough. My brother in law tried asking the startlogic people and they made it sound like a nightmare! This sounds manageable! Thank you.

4. NYMacNewbie macrumors newbie

I have a question on the flip side of this...

I have a web site that is already stored on startlogic. I got a new Mac and need to get the files from startlogic to the Mac. I've actually used a Mac very little, and have no clue how to go about getting the files from startlogic to the iWeb program on the new computer.

5. telecomm macrumors 65816

telecomm

In all likelihood you require the same steps—FTP software will allow you to access (your section of) the server as though it were a folder on your desktop. So you can copy files to and from the server.

6. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

iWeb cannot important HTML files from a site. It works off a Domain.sites2 file located in ~/Library/Application Support/iWeb. Copying that file to the new Mac is the only way to move a site for iWeb.