How do I publish a website?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Shamus, Nov 25, 2007.

1. Shamus macrumors 6502a

Shamus

Okay, a couple of my relatives would like me to create a website for them.

I know how to make decent websites, (in Dreamweaver and iWeb), but I have no idea how to publish them to the internet.

Could I get like a .Mac account and act as a server? Or is there an easier way?

One of the websites I need to make is to be used to host a collection of photos. This will mean that the website is updated often. How could I host the website, and still allow my relative access to updating it?

Thank you very very much in advance for the help :)

2. rendezvouscp macrumors 68000

.Mac sounds like a perfect solution for you. You'll be able to publish from within iWeb to your .Mac account where you can direct your relatives to your creations.

If I were you, I'd check out Apple's iWeb tutorials for more information.
    -Chasen

3. Shamus thread starter macrumors 6502a

Shamus

So my relatives could go into my .Mac account and update photos?

They have windows computers, will they still be able to access my .Mac account?

4. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

There's no reason to buy .mac just for that. There are plenty of great free web hosting places. My favorite is pages.google.com

5. Shamus thread starter macrumors 6502a

Shamus

^^ but one of the websites is for a business. pages.google.com wouldnt give you a domain name like 'business.com' would they?

6. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

For a business you wouldn't want anything except yourbusinessname.com which google pages does not do. .mac may be able to do that (for an extra charge? I don't know).

For us to give you good answers you need to describe what the website is for. The one you described in your original post was a personal site.

7. Shamus thread starter macrumors 6502a

Shamus

Sorry for being unclear. Thank you very much for the help too. There are two websites I'm making:

One personal website (photos etc)
    One business website

8. thingamajigidid macrumors member

if i am not mistaken, .mac is for personal use.. but even if you were gonna use it for your business you will need to use two different accounts so that your business people don't look at your personal pictures incase you do web-gallery, or vise versa..

that saying.. don't blend business and pleasure..