How do I purchase an iPhone as a surprise?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by teamjaycub, Dec 18, 2013.

1. teamjaycub macrumors 6502

I want to purchase an iPhone 5s for a family member of mine for Christmas.(AT&T)

I'm planning on purchasing this phone at an Apple store either on Friday or on Monday of next week, but I have a few questions.

The last time I bought an iPhone at an Apple store, my old phone was automatically out of service (even though my new iPhone was still sealed!)

Obviously I don't want my family member's phone to be out of service when I purchase their new phone. (They'd be suspicious that I got them a new phone)

Is there anyway to make this a surprise?
    Also, do Apple stores support AT&T upgrade swaps?

2. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

Easiest would be to wrap a picture of a phone and take the person to the store (so they can pick out the color themselves) the next day.

That said, yes, Apple does upgrade swaps.

3. teamjaycub thread starter macrumors 6502

Well I'd really like for them to have it Christmas day.
    Also, I know for certain that they want a gold 5s.

4. psblake macrumors member

Easiest way is to order one through ATT that way they send it to you but it will not be activated until you open it and activate it yourself. I have two phones waiting for my wife and daughter in my office arrived a week ago and they have not activated yet until I activate them on Christmas day.

5. TimmerSuds macrumors newbie

You should be able to walk into an Apple or AT&T store and purchase one without activating it. I just did that with Verizon.