How do I put an eBook file on the touch?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by reddog1083, Feb 24, 2008.

1. reddog1083 macrumors newbie

Hi guys, first post here.. I have just been looking all night for a way to put my PDF file of my 2008 3D Studio Max Bible, and I cant seem to find any way to get it on the iPod.

I tried one way of opening it on my Mac and trying to save as an iPhoto file, but the option was greyed out.

So I then tried ebook to images, and it did not open the PDF file.

Finally I tried a PDF to Word document converter, and then retried the other options only now with a Word doc.

Anybody have ANY advice for this?

Please and thank you!

2. EdwardsNH macrumors member

Email the PDF to yourself. When you open it up on the touch, you will be able to view it as an attachment.

From the manual:

You can view attachments in both portrait and landscape orientation. If the format of
    an attached file isn’t supported by iPod touch, you can see the name of the file but you
    can’t open it. iPod touch supports the following email attachment file formats:
    Â .doc, .docx, .htm, .html, .pdf, .txt, .xls, .xlsx

as well as many picture formats.

3. reddog1083 thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright, I suppose I will have to break up the 1300 page book and just email in sections im guessing then.

4. cazlar macrumors 6502

Jailbreak and find the PDFViewer app. It's not fully finished, but is able to open up large PDFs. Or you can run a local webserver on the touch (like lighttpd) and access from there (but then MobileSafari might not like the size so you may need to split it up). The advantage of the latter way is you get rotation to work. There's also apparently an Installer package that lets MobileSafari use file:// references without running a webserver too, but I haven't tried it yet.

Or wait a week or so and see what the SDK brings.