How do I put flash files on my iWeb site?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by Soundhound, Apr 20, 2009.

1. Soundhound macrumors 6502a

I can't seem to find any information on this in any Apple tutorials. Is it possible? Is it a regular feature of iWeb? I'm using iLife 09, and trying to put some flash animation (swif) files on some of the pages.

thanks!

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

The server needs to support streaming flash first.

3. Soundhound thread starter macrumors 6502a

I use my .mac (I guess now it's my .me?) account for my Iweb site. Does it support streaming flash?

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Not sure, I don't have it. Maybe someone else will chime in there.

5. sl1200mk2 macrumors 6502

Any server will present Flash. There's no 'streaming' service required. Where this confusion comes in is that there are streaming server products (i.e. quicktime, flash, real, windows media, etc) that will verify the clients bandwidth and then serve appropriate files (hi, med, low versions) based on their connection speed. These are high end products that are typically a niche market for sites dedicated to video services.

Any server will present flash or any other media files. Flash is handled client side by the browser. It will progressively load and begin to play once enough has buffered within the clients browser.

I've personally never used .mac or iweb, but any server can handle this if it can present HTML which is 99.99999999% of everything out there and unless Apple has done something to prohibit certain file types this should include .mac as well.

I would find a basic tutorial on how to embed the proper media tags within your HTML and upload a test page along with your FLV or SWF files. You shouldn't have much difficulty.

Example: http://www.w3schools.com/flash/flash_inhtml.asp

Good luck -

Wayne

6. Soundhound thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks. And yikes, I know nothing. I'm just trying to find out whether iWeb supports flash animations. Anybody know????

7. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

No service, but the server must be set up to handle the MIME type correctly.

I'm not even talking about that, but it's a moot point as I misunderstood the request. Flash animations and flash video are handled differently.

You should be able to insert it as a HTML snippet using the code in the link above. NOTE: Both the embed and object tags are required.