Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

weezin

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2012
The option to set the power button sleep feature is available in Onyx under 'Parameters / Login'

Interesting! I downloaded Onyx for Lion and the option doesn't appear to be there for some reason. I keep striking out here!

vkd

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2012
Yeah, that's not the same ... hot corners don't allow computer sleep (nor should they).
screen-shot-2019-04-19-at-11-21-01-am-jpg.832900

OK but if you didn't change your Energy Saver settings, the standard timeouts are set to 10 minutes, so at least you will immediately gain a big saving by sleeping the display, then 10 mins later if you don't touch it, the computer will automatically go into sleep mode. Perhaps the overall cost difference will be 4 or 5¢ on your electricity bill.

llllllllll

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2020
The option to sleep the system when pressing the power button can be enabled by running the following command in terminal

Code:
defaults write com.apple.loginwindow PowerButtonSleepsSystem -bool yes

to disable run

Code:
defaults write com.apple.loginwindow PowerButtonSleepsSystem -bool no

Apologies for dragging up this somewhat old thread but it was the best I could find relating to my issue -

I'm on an intel 16"MBP running Catalina, and the above terminal command does not work for me unfortunately.

I have Onyx installed and I can see the option that has been mentioned under parameters > login but can't use it (it's greyed out).

Downloaded Tinker Tool 7 and the mentioned option is available there yet checking / unchecking the box does nothing.

I did log out / log in / restarted the machine after trying all these procedures, to no avail.

Any other ideas anyone?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.