Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TechnoEagle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 30, 2010
As the title suggests, I was wondering if it is possible to quit Finder. I already have the Quit Finder menu item, but whenever I try quitting Finder, Finder just pops back up if I don't have any other open applications. Is there a way to close Finder and have it not open back up unless I click on the icon?

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
Finder is the equivalent to Explorer for Windows, and can not be quit without restarting itself.

If you're trying to get rid of the blue running icon on the dock below finder, this is not the way. You'll need to do some system hacking.

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Finder is the equivalent to Explorer for Windows

Is that really accurate? Can't you boot into Windows and have an image on your screen that is not Explorer? Whereas, when you boot into OSX, what you get is Finder, whether there's a finder window (equivalent to Explorer?) open or not. Is the same true with Windows and Explorer? Just askin'.

TechnoEagle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 30, 2010
defaults write com.apple.finder QuitMenuItem -bool YES;killall Finder

I have already done this, and can quit Finder. However, when I quit Finder and all the other open applications, Finder reopens. I want to know if there is a way to keep Finder closed.

calderone

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2009
I have already done this, and can quit Finder. However, when I quit Finder and all the other open applications, Finder reopens. I want to know if there is a way to keep Finder closed.

You could use an AppleScript like this:

Code:
repeat
	delay xx
	tell application "System Events"
		set finderRunning to (application process "Finder" exists)
	end tell

if finderRunning is true then
		try
			tell application "Finder"
				quit
			end tell
		on error errText number errNum
			log {errText, errNum}
		end try
	else if finderRunning is false then
	end if
end repeat

Adjust the delay to some number of seconds.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Can I ask why you want Finder to be closed?

I feel like next you'll be asking how to force quit kernel_task…

TechnoEagle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 30, 2010
I want to know how for two reasons:
1. I'm just curious. I don't know if I'll actually do it very often, but its interesting to know.
2. It can be nice to sometimes hide all the icons on my desktop so that it looks a little less cluttered.

blacka4

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2009
Pittsburgh
1. I'm just curious. I don't know if I'll actually do it very often, but its interesting to know.
2. It can be nice to sometimes hide all the icons on my desktop so that it looks a little less cluttered.

answers :

1 you will never need to do "close"finder as your computer will be unresponsive and not functionalble unless you reboot.

2 you can hid the icons on your desktop by going into the finder pref's under finder in the tool bar.

TechnoEagle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 30, 2010
I opened Finder preferences, but in the section where I could hide certain icons from my desktop, folders were not one of the options. The only things I have on my desktop are Macintosh HD and some folders.

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
I have no icons on my desktop whatsoever except when im working. Just set the dock to auto hide and turn anything you dont want to show on your desktop off.

No need to quit Finder as all that will do is cause problems. Thats like taking the engine out of a car but still trying to drive. :confused:

blacka4

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2009
Pittsburgh
umm, I will have to play around with my mac when I get home. I thought you could hide folders also.

I like a clean desktop so the only thing on my desktop are my Mac HD, and any external HD attached.

When I am working on a project i have that particular folder on the desktop and when I am finished I move that folder to my documents folder in file it away under that project subfolder.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Download TinkerTool (it's free).

It can add a "Quit" item to the Finder menu, allowing you to quit the Finder as you would any other application.

To restart the Finder, just click on its icon in the dock.

Kittyhawk

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2010
I have used Tinkertool to add the 'Quit Finder' command in the file menu and it used to work OK, but now when I select it, it quits and immediately reopens.

Xenc

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2010
London, England
Keeping a lightweight and useful application running at all times, such as Terminal, will prevent Finder from automatically relaunching. It's a less technical solution to the problem but it may work out for you.

TechnoEagle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 30, 2010
Keeping a lightweight and useful application running at all times, such as Terminal, will prevent Finder from automatically relaunching. It's a less technical solution to the problem but it may work out for you.

Thanks, Xenc! I never thought of that. :D

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Is that really accurate? Can't you boot into Windows and have an image on your screen that is not Explorer? Whereas, when you boot into OSX, what you get is Finder, whether there's a finder window (equivalent to Explorer?) open or not. Is the same true with Windows and Explorer? Just askin'.
In Windows, Explorer.exe is always running. If you end task on Explorer, Windows shuts down. It's an integral part of the OS. The same is true for Finder in Mac OS X. If you open any app that uses/creates files such as Preview, TextEdit, MS Word, etc., when you open, save, save as.... those operations are performed by Finder. Those apps, like many others, can't run without Finder.
If you want your Mac to run properly, Finder must be running.
1. If you disable any part of Mac OS X, you won't have full functionality. It's not a smart thing to do.
2. Quitting Finder isn't the solution for hiding icons on the desktop. As already mentioned, use Finder preferences to disable the display of many items. If you don't want user-created folders to show on the desktop, don't put them there in the first place.

Xenc

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2010
London, England
No problem TechnoEagle, glad it helped.

If you open any app that uses/creates files such as Preview, TextEdit, MS Word, etc., when you open, save, save as.... those operations are performed by Finder. Those apps, like many others, can't run without Finder.

I haven't run into any problems. Try it and see!

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
In Windows, Explorer.exe is always running. If you end task on Explorer, Windows shuts down. It's an integral part of the OS.
Hmm. Thanks, I didn't know that. I thought Windows Explorer was just the file management system, and something else handled the interface with apps. I know the Finder stuff you mentioned, but it's obvious that many people don't get that from some of the posts I read, so that may help someone.

D A

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2008
If you still want to quit Finder in an easy way without it reopening, start Activity Monitor and select Finder among the processes select Quit Process > Quit. Finder shouldn't reopen unless you click on the Finder in the Dock.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
If you still want to quit Finder in an easy way without it reopening, start Activity Monitor and select Finder among the processes select Quit Process > Quit. Finder shouldn't reopen unless you click on the Finder in the Dock.

That's not as easy as Command-Q or this:
Picture 130.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.