How do I re-pair my apple watch to my 5s?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Appl3FTW, Sep 15, 2015.

1. Appl3FTW macrumors 601

Appl3FTW

I sold my 6 plus and I've already restored it to factory. Now I'm using my 5s and I need to pair my watch.

2. ivandr macrumors regular

Settings > General > Erase all contents and settings. Once it resets you can pair it with a new phone.

NOTE: This will lose all motion calibration data (and likely all your other settings since you're repairing it with a phone that it wasn't previously connected to).

If you restore your 5S from a backup of your 6, you might keep all the settings on your watch but I'm not certain as I haven't tried a move like this

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Is that possible - restoring an older phone from a newer phone?

4. ivandr macrumors regular

I have done it in the past, but both phones were on the same OS version (and this was back on iOS 5 or 6). You definitely can't restore a backup to another phone with an earlier version of iOS though

5. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

Yes, the age of the phone only matters if the model is unable to use current software. The important requirement is software versions being equal. The 5S can use the latest 9.1 beta so as long as its updated to equal or newer than the 6 was, it will be fine.

6. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

Did you un-pair the watch then make a backup before you erased the phone?

7. Appl3FTW thread starter macrumors 601

Appl3FTW

thanks for the response guys.. basically you have to unpair the watch first from your existing phone so you can re-pair it with another one. In my case, I didn't unpair is so that means I had to restore my watch before it becomes available for re-pairing again. It's now paired to the 5s. now I had to do this thing all over again for the 6s plus.

suggestion: when you un-pair, that's when the watch backs up to the paired phone. so if I unpaired my watch to my 6 plus, the watch will create a back up to the phone.

unpair/watch backup > old phone backup > new phone.