How do I re-size my partitions?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jbrown, Oct 5, 2012.

1. jbrown macrumors 6502a

jbrown

Hi All

I have a 750 gb drive and it's divided into two partitions with partition one being my primary one. My second partition is getting too full, so I want to reduce the size of my No. 1 partition, and add this space to my No. 2 partition ( around 50 gb ).

I want to do this without reformatting or losing data.

I can reduce the size of No. 1 partition no problem using Disk Utility ( see picture ) - but I can't figure out how to add this 'liberated' space to my No. 2 partition.

Any ideas?

Many thanks :):)

Attached Files:

2. justperry, Oct 5, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2012

justperry macrumors 604

justperry

You can not resize a disk if you running from that disc.
    Another hint, in the tab in the picture you show it says partition and in the text it says erase so do not use it this way.
    If I am right you can resize partitions if you start up from recovery mode and start Disk Utility from there, I think you need to restart and hold the option key to start up from recovery.
    Edit: I think I went wrong here because it is still on the same disc, I think you need to make a bootable USB stick or DVD first

Anybody, if I am wrong please say so.
    I will try to google for you.

Edit: Found a link but it is for 10.5.x, maybe that is still valid, except yours is newer.

Resize

3. Stooby Mcdoobie macrumors 6502a

Stooby Mcdoobie

Use SuperDuper! to clone the second partition to an external drive. Then, delete the second partition. Now you can remake the second partition, allocating more space than before. Finally, use SuperDuper! to clone from the external back to the second partition.

4. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

No need to, you can resize the disk on the fly.

5. Stooby Mcdoobie macrumors 6502a

Stooby Mcdoobie

I know you can resize disk0s2 (Lion 1 in this case) on the fly, but it was my understanding that it's not possible to resize other partitions without losing data (at least not without third party software like DiskWarrior and the like). Is this not the case?

6. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Can Diswarrior do something like that, since when???
    Edit: Just looked, NO

I never did but I think if he resizes the first partition to a smaller size he then can resize the second partition larger, I could be wrong though.

7. jbrown thread starter macrumors 6502a

jbrown

Well I tried rebooting from my No.2 partition ( Lion ) and using Disk Utility. This didn't work.

I tried rebooting from my Recovery partition ( ML ) and using Disk Utility. This didn't work.

I tried rebooting from my USB disk ( Lion ) and using Disk Utility. This didn't work.

Seems odd if this is not possible. :(

8. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

iPartition.

But it is not free.