How do I receive gmail in the mail app?

ucfgrad93

macrumors P6
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
I thought that it was updated in Leopard so all you have to do is put in your email address and the Mail app does the rest.

macworld.com said:
What you may not know
With Leopard now out in the wild, a few more notable Mail features have emerged.

The new account setup in Mail lets users of popular e-mail services get started just by typing in their e-mail address.

Simple Account Setup One problem that many users have when starting off with an e-mail application is getting their accounts setup. Knowing all of the SMTP, POP, and IMAP servers can be daunting, especially if you have several accounts.

Apple’s new account setup will allow many users to start using Mail by simply typing in their e-mail address. Mail already knows the settings for 30 of the most popular e-mail services including Yahoo, AOL, Gmail, Verizon, AT&T, and Comcast. After you type in your e-mail address, Mail takes care of everything else for you. If you don’t have one of the services that Mail automatically recognizes, you will have to set up the accounts manually, just as you would with the previous version.
I hope this helps.

Comment

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
I thought that it was updated in Leopard so all you have to do is put in your email address and the Mail app does the rest.

I hope this helps.
actually, this won't work if you've enabled imap gmail. you have to enter in the settings manually.

to the op, you need to enable pop or imap access in gmail's settings before you can configure mail.app to retrieve your gmail. if you're going the pop route, then all you need to enter is username and password. if you choose imap, you have to enter in your settings manually.

Comment

Shamus

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2006
So does this mean that I could use my standard Yahoo! account in Mail?

In tiger you need a Yahoo! Plus account yeah?

Comment