How do I reconnect a NAS (for iTunes movies)

Discussion in 'iMac' started by MrMister111, Feb 4, 2014.

1. MrMister111, Feb 4, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2014

MrMister111 macrumors 68000

My current setup is a 2012 iMac with Mavericks on, iTunes (for music) runs from the fusion drive.

However my movies are on a NAS drive (for access for my PS3 as well), and I just reference them to my iTunes library. However the NAS goes to sleep during the night.

My iMac is powered up all the time, it just goes into sleep mode. I'm unsure how to sort of force a reconnect to the NAS. Sometimes I don't go onto the NAS, so I don't want something that only happens when I log in, as I normally goto my Apple TV to access.

I'm finding that the NAS is not reconnecting (I think), as the movies are "disappearing" when I look on my Apple TV.

Is there anyway to reconnect the NAS automatically, as at the moment I have to goto my iMac, connect NAS, then goto Apple TV etc.

Music is fine as iTunes on my iMac is from the fusion and so available all the time.
    thanks

2. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

Seems like the simple solution is to set your NAS so it doesn't sleep. I use a Mac mini server (not a NAS) and it runs 24/7 so this is never an issue.

3. MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68000

Yes I could but just seems pointless to run it all the time thats all. Was hoping something could connect to it once its went to sleep.

4. pscl macrumors 6502

are you using wifi and bluetooth at the same time?

if yes and the problem appears again, try de- and reactivate wifi.
    got the same issue when connectet over wifi with my macbook. imac with wired connection: no problems.

5. MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68000

? Not sure what you mean.

6. pscl macrumors 6502

if the problem appears... try deactivate, then reactivate wifi and check if you can connect to your nas.

7. MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68000

The connection works fine. My iMac is wired to my NAS. The problem I have is I set my NAS to sleep. If I don't go on my iMac, goto my Apple TV it doesn't see the movies. I'd like somehow if possible for the iMac to reconnect to my NAS after it wakes again.

8. DFWHD macrumors regular

I've got a Synology NAS on my home network with a late 2012 iMac on Mavericks. The NAS is setup to Wake on LAN as needed and the movies volume on the NAS is a mapped drive set to reconnect at log in on the iMac. Both the NAS and the iMac sleep and I've never had an issue with the Mac losing the connection. How do you have your movies volume setup on the Mac?

9. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

I do a similar approach as well. I have my iTunes lib on a NAS that goes to sleep every night.

When I first log on my computer, I go to the Finder and look for the NAS and click on it. Usually this is enough for iTunes and I leave iTunes off at night as well (actually, the computer is put in sleep mode). The action of reconnecting via the Finder works well.

Normally, if all was left on, the easiest to things you could do is "attach" the NAS at start up or create a script to reconnect. I think using the Finder should suffice. If you don't see the NAS, then you need to explore the reason why (when the NAS is awake that is). I have 2 NAS units that show up in my Finder and both are set to sleep at night.