How do I reconnect with my website?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by Steve McMillan, Jun 21, 2009.

1. Steve McMillan macrumors newbie

My new iMac does not run the Macromedia Dreamweaver 3, (runs on "Classic" OS9), I used to build my rather large site, www.sonic.net/aquatint. I have tried Dreamweaver MX, but so far it has me baffled. (Though I successfully built my site with the old software, I am no expert and suspect that I have been using non-standard ways to make it work). Does anyone out there have suggestions as to what software I should use to reconnect to my site? My site is just pages, images, text and links, so I am looking for something pretty basic that is the easiest to use.

Thank you,

Steve McMillan

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

TextWrangler is, in my opinion, the best free HTML/Text editor available. It's non-free relative, BBEdit, isn't even significantly better.

3. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

If you prefer a WYSIWYG interface you might consider RapidWeaver which is around $80ish and will offer a similar core features as DW but much easier to use. The previous advice is perfect if all you need is a means to keep the content organized and easy publish so I second that. RapidWeaver extends that to include a nice GUI editor which is nice to have in the toolbox, which is the only reason I offer said advice.

http://www.realmacsoftware.com/rapidweaver/

-jim

4. Steve McMillan thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

Thank you for your reply. I have been kinda busy, so have not tried TextWrangler yet. I only knew enough about the old Dreamweaver 3 to get my site up and add to it, so am mostly ignorant of web building terms. Time to go back to class......

Steve

5. Steve McMillan thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your reply. I have been kinda busy. I only knew enough about the old Dreamweaver 3 to get my site up and add to it, so am mostly ignorant of web building terms. I have no idea what a WYSIWYG interface is. Time to go back to class......

Steve

6. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

WYSIWYG means "what you see is what you get" i.e. same as design view in DW, so you see the web page and not just code during editing.

:)

-jim

7. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Of course the standard warnings apply; in a lot of cases WYSIWYG isn't "exactly" WYSIWYG. DW in particular I've found to be fairly lousy at things like centered elements.

8. Tholian macrumors member

In the long run you will probably be happier to learn new tools to make your site better, but if you really want to use Dreamweaver 3 while your learning you could use a Mac 68000 emulator such as http://leb.net/vmac/ to run the classic environment on your new computer. Probably not a good long term fix, just something to get you through.