How do I record a drumset with several mics in Garageband?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by JHouse, Oct 18, 2010.

1. JHouse macrumors newbie

I'm about to purchase a drum mic kit with 7 mics, I was planning on getting adapters for each mic so it can be plugged into a USB port and then just get a USB hub to plug em all in at once. So when I try to record is it going to record seven different tracks at once? or just one track? I dont know what else i may need I just want to get an idea so I can plan ahead for it. Thanks!

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

get an 8-channel firewire interface. you'll plug your 7 mics into that and you'll get 7 distinct channels into GarageBand. i'd start by going to the Presonus website to see what they have for 8 channels.

disclaimer: i don't use GB, so someone will have to verify that GB can record that many simultaneous channels.

3. ChrisA macrumors G4

No, do not buy 7 USb audio interfaces. That might not even work. In fact I'm pretty sure it would not as I think Gb only allows you to select ONE audio interface. What you want is one audio interface with 8 microphone inputs. When you have that many inputs you need Firewire, not USB.

There are many of these interfaces on the market prices range from about $550 up. Sounds like a lot but cheaper than buying 7 USB interfaces and a hub, plus this will actually work

This is a fairly complex thing to buy. Do think about the future and how you might expand this. You don't want to have to replace a $700 unit when you want to plug in a guitar next year. Get something that has an upgrade path. You need to work with a good reatialer who can listen to your needs, sell you what you need then have the experience to answer questions. I hate to recommend one place because it leaves out so many other good places but you should call Sweetwater on this and talk to them to recommend a 8-channel firewire audio interface that works with GB.

You will likely end up with something like one of these
    http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/FireStudio/

4. johnnyfiive macrumors 6502

johnnyfiive

Man, this thread is making me not want to sell my set, but... its gotta go. :(

5. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

6. mgacam2 macrumors regular

mgacam2

just made a thread and found this... gah haha