How do I record a phone conversation directly on my Mac?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by Jade Cambell, Oct 4, 2007.

1. Jade Cambell macrumors 6502

What's the simplest way to record a phone conversation that takes place on a regular land phone line, onto my Mac in Aiff or MP3 format?

Thanks

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

technology aside (you can buy specialized phone devices to do that, like radio journalists do), you need explicit permission to record someone. just an fyi.

3. Jade Cambell thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm sorry if you're used to encountering those types of people on these boards, but I wouldn't think of recording someone without their permission. I give group classes by phone sometimes, and with the permission of all the participants, it would be nice to have a recording of it to turn into an article, or simply a pure transcript.

Can you point me in the direction of some of the specialized phone devices you mentioned?

Thanks.

4. calculus Guest

calculus

Actually this is not always correct. In most places you can record a call if you have the permission of one of the participants (which could include yourself). What you can't do is record a conversation involving only third parties (without permission).

5. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

thanks for the info. i found this site which spells out the laws. in illinois, my home state, both parties must have knowledge, but it seems illinois is in the minority. interesting stuff.

6. Jade Cambell thread starter macrumors 6502

Would that be able to plug into an intel iMac? Or would it require a Mac Pro with some third party sound card installed?

7. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

8. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

9. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

10. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Which really ticks me off.

11. Jade Cambell thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't care about price. If the one that zimv20 recommended will plug directly into the mic line input in the iMac, then that's what i'll get. Does it?

12. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

it's not actually a recommendation, i've never used it. heck, i've never recorded a phonecall. all i did was head to fullcompass.com and do a search so i could provide a link to an example of what i'd mentioend.

13. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

It definitely looks like it presents line level outputs so it should "just work" with any Mac. It also has the added advantage of sampling the signals electrically instead of by means of a microphone...

B

14. Jade Cambell thread starter macrumors 6502

It doesn't say anywhere if it connects to a Mac's standard Line In port. It looks like it only has XLR and RCA.

15. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Your average RCA to 3.5 mm jack cable or adapter will hook it up. The important thing is the level (voltage) of the signals whether it's mic/phono level or line level.

Something like this: http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103855&cp=&parentPage=search should do the trick.

B

16. mfranx macrumors newbie

Record conversations on your computer

If you have an iPhone, (or probably other phones will work too) you can simply get a mini phone plug to mini phone plug, and plug your iPhone into your computer from the headset jack.
    You can record the call in Garage Band on any computer! Let me know if you want more detailed instructions.

17. paulisme macrumors 6502

You'd be surprised at the quality you get just by using a speakerphone and the Mac's internal microphone. I've used this method with my MacBook Pro and the recordings came out great.

18. Papanate macrumors regular

Yes. Look at the 'Documentation' sheet on the page at Full Compass and you'll see how it hooks up.

The phone will hook to the unit via the RJ45 jacks it has.

The two RCA Jacks send the signal out and/or allow for a source to be piped in (such as music or sound effects or whatever you want).

You will need a RCA to Mono 3.5mm or 1/8" mini phone jack to send it to
    your mac. The input impedance's match both an iMac and Macbook Pro input...all are 20 kΩ.
    I don't know the Mac Pro's input impedance - but I imagine it would be close.