Jade Cambell

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
What's the simplest way to record a phone conversation that takes place on a regular land phone line, onto my Mac in Aiff or MP3 format?

Thanks

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
technology aside (you can buy specialized phone devices to do that, like radio journalists do), you need explicit permission to record someone. just an fyi.

Jade Cambell

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
technology aside (you can buy specialized phone devices to do that, like radio journalists do), you need explicit permission to record someone. just an fyi.

I'm sorry if you're used to encountering those types of people on these boards, but I wouldn't think of recording someone without their permission. I give group classes by phone sometimes, and with the permission of all the participants, it would be nice to have a recording of it to turn into an article, or simply a pure transcript.

Can you point me in the direction of some of the specialized phone devices you mentioned?

Thanks.

calculus

Dec 12, 2005

Actually this is not always correct. In most places you can record a call if you have the permission of one of the participants (which could include yourself). What you can't do is record a conversation involving only third parties (without permission).

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
thanks for the info. i found this site which spells out the laws. in illinois, my home state, both parties must have knowledge, but it seems illinois is in the minority. interesting stuff.

Jade Cambell

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
I don't care about price. If the one that zimv20 recommended will plug directly into the mic line input in the iMac, then that's what i'll get. Does it?

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
If the one that zimv20 recommended

it's not actually a recommendation, i've never used it. heck, i've never recorded a phonecall. all i did was head to fullcompass.com and do a search so i could provide a link to an example of what i'd mentioend.

balamw

Aug 16, 2005
New England
I don't care about price. If the one that zimv20 recommended will plug directly into the mic line input in the iMac, then that's what i'll get. Does it?

It definitely looks like it presents line level outputs so it should "just work" with any Mac. It also has the added advantage of sampling the signals electrically instead of by means of a microphone...

B

Jade Cambell

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
It definitely looks like it presents line level outputs so it should "just work" with any Mac. It also has the added advantage of sampling the signals electrically instead of by means of a microphone...

B

It doesn't say anywhere if it connects to a Mac's standard Line In port. It looks like it only has XLR and RCA.

balamw

Aug 16, 2005
New England

mfranx

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2012
Record conversations on your computer

What's the simplest way to record a phone conversation that takes place on a regular land phone line, onto my Mac in Aiff or MP3 format?

Thanks
If you have an iPhone, (or probably other phones will work too) you can simply get a mini phone plug to mini phone plug, and plug your iPhone into your computer from the headset jack.
You can record the call in Garage Band on any computer! Let me know if you want more detailed instructions.

paulisme

macrumors 6502
Dec 15, 2008
Charleston, SC
You'd be surprised at the quality you get just by using a speakerphone and the Mac's internal microphone. I've used this method with my MacBook Pro and the recordings came out great.

Papanate

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2011
North Carolina

Yes. Look at the 'Documentation' sheet on the page at Full Compass and you'll see how it hooks up.

The phone will hook to the unit via the RJ45 jacks it has.

The two RCA Jacks send the signal out and/or allow for a source to be piped in (such as music or sound effects or whatever you want).

You will need a RCA to Mono 3.5mm or 1/8" mini phone jack to send it to
your mac. The input impedance's match both an iMac and Macbook Pro input...all are 20 kΩ.
I don't know the Mac Pro's input impedance - but I imagine it would be close.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.