Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 15, 2008
I deleted a photo accidentally.

I open up iPhoto, then open time machine, and boom, i'm taken to my finder window in time machine.

So I cancel, make sure everything is closed except iPhoto, try and again, and boom, it opens my finder window!

How am I supposed to find that one picture I want back????

Thanks for any help!

John T

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2006
UK.
Forget about opening iPhoto! Open Time Machine. On right of screen, click on a past date when you know you had the photo. When Time Machine has run back to the specified date, locate your photo and click "Restore" - on bottom right of screen.

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 15, 2008
Forget about opening iPhoto! Open Time Machine. On right of screen, click on a past date when you know you had the photo. When Time Machine has run back to the specified date, locate your photo and click "Restore" - on bottom right of screen.

How do I locate the picture?

It was in my iPhoto library.

In finder I can only get as far as "iPhoto library" in , it won't let me see the pictures.

Check out 1:45 on this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fF99QYsb2FU

Was hoping Time Machine wouldn't be this complicated! :confused:

mr.tolgao

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2010
How do I locate the picture?

It was in my iPhoto library.

In finder I can only get as far as "iPhoto library" in , it won't let me see the pictures.

Check out 1:45 on this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fF99QYsb2FU

I have iPhoto '09. In my iPhoto application when I click "Browse Backups..." in iPhoto "File" pulldown menu which is the last item. It takes me to iPhoto application in Time Machine. There you can find and restore your old photos. Hope this helps.

Tolga

Attachments

• iPhoto Backups.jpg
    iPhoto Backups.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 336

John T

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2006
UK.

No it's not - honest! :)

The video was, in my opinion, very good. As is explained therein, Time Machine will take you back to a previous time you were using a particular application. For example, as shown in the video, go back to the date that you know you last had your "lost" photo in iPhoto and find it as you usually would. Once you've found it, click on it and then on "Restore" and the photo will be copied back to the current version if iPhoto.

Nothing difficult in that?!

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
If you deleted the photo within iPhoto, and you haven't emptied the iPhoto trash, your deleted photo is still there. Just look in the iPhoto trash and drag it back to a folder! :)

-howard

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 15, 2008
No it's not - honest! :)

The video was, in my opinion, very good. As is explained therein, Time Machine will take you back to a previous time you were using a particular application. For example, as shown in the video, go back to the date that you know you last had your "lost" photo in iPhoto and find it as you usually would. Once you've found it, click on it and then on "Restore" and the photo will be copied back to the current version if iPhoto.

Nothing difficult in that?!

I completely understand that, but my problem is my computer doesn't behave anything like it :confused:

Looks like its a known issue that hasn't been addressed:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1215728/

Might try my luck with whats in that thread.

Thanks for the replies

PS. A link to a not ideal work around, in case anyone finding the same issue comes into this thread: http://www.macworld.com/article/161877/2011/08/lion_time_machine_iphoto.html#lsrc.rss_main

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.