How do I recover vanished/deleted default apps?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by agkm800, Jul 28, 2010.

1. agkm800 macrumors 6502a

agkm800

I know the default apps can't be deleted, but I managed to do it.

Anyway, I thought a simple syncing would bring back the deleted default apps, but to no avail.

My iPad is not jailbroken.

2. mrboult macrumors 6502

mrboult

Just incase try doing a search for the app on the iPad. It is possible that the app has been pushed onto one of the 'hidden' screens.
    What I mean by that is that after the 8 or so screens available on the iPad applications can be pushed off into no-mans land but still be there.

3. agkm800 thread starter macrumors 6502a

agkm800

Yes, that's what happened. I can search them but how can I get those icons back???

4. copydeskcat macrumors regular

Simplest thing would be to do a restore from your most recent backup.

5. kenmarable macrumors member

I haven't had this happen, but what about clearing out intermediate screens? Since that typically moves everything up one, it might bring the no man's land icons back into view.

*shrug*

I have no idea if it would work, but it's worth a try, I suppose, and can avoid having to do a restore and then re-doing any changes since then.

6. melman101 macrumors 68030

Also if you reset home screen in General it will move it back to Apple's arrangement then Alphabetical order.

"Return your iPhone to the default home screen layout at any time by tapping on "General" under "Settings," tapping "Reset" and then "Reset Home Screen Layout."

7. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

As a last resort "repurchase" them. I put that in quotes because you won't actually have to pay for them again. When you try to buy them you will get a screen saying that you have already purchased that app and would you like to download it again.

If however you are charged again report it to Apple and you will get a refund.

8. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I think if you connect your iPad to iTunes and look in the apps tab, those extra screens might show up. I've never tried this myself, as I've never loaded so many apps at once.

9. pelicanflip macrumors 6502a

10. agkm800 thread starter macrumors 6502a

agkm800

Thank you all for your suggestions. :)

Well, to report back, none of the above suggestions worked. I had to use the Settings app and reset home screen as melman101 noted above. (It brought back all the apps and rearranged them in alphabetical order. :mad:)

I was lucky that the Settings app was not deleted. At least, resetting home screen is much easier than the restore which wipes out everything.

11. testcard macrumors 68020

testcard

If you've got lots of apps, and in case this happens again, might be worth taking a screenshot of each apps page so you can always get back to your preferred configuration without too much anguish.

12. shellbryson macrumors 6502

shellbryson

The sooner we get Folders on the iPad the better!

13. FuzzyPeachez macrumors newbie

Sort of the same thing happened to me. I plugged it in, and it suddenly froze, and when it came back, ALL of the default apps were gone, even the "Settings" app. Everything is still there, but I can't access any of it. Yes my iPhone is jailbroken.:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: