Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VideoNewbie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 6, 2009
Please take a look at the THIRD close up zoom shot in the following collage.

474d654fd77ab.jpg

and these

4998f02b85ff2.jpg

4a2404e55bf6d.jpg

My question is...

alot of times when retouchers retouch skin , the skin loses the textue & pores making it look much more artificial than it has to be..
however in this case, you can still see the texture of the skin & the pores....

any tips?

nate13

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2004
Fargo, ND
sadly i have no help for you, but i'm interested in this as well. However I'm unsure if anyone will answer, as it's most likely one of those skills which constitutes (whoever does such retouching)'s bread and butter. Subscribed!

peepboon

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2008
cloning? I think I've seen tutorials like this on youtube~

Its a very very time consuming process.

jackerin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2008
Finland
cloning? I think I've seen tutorials like this on youtube~
Healing brush is way nicer than clone tool.

Edit: Got interested in retouching recently and have been trying it out. Going for the more subtle approach right now, but it would be good to know the ultra-smooth skin technique even though I don't like it...

Got the headshot from this forum, get practicing! http://www.lipstickfetish.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9579

Kronie

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2008
Cloning, healing brush, saturation, selective sharpening around the eyes....

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
WhAt the op is looking at is skin smoothing techniques. There us some more going on in those pics but that is the main one. There are many different ways to skin smooth but lighting in the photographs is also a factor. Any good retouching book should cover these.

citizenzen

macrumors 68000
Mar 22, 2010
My guess is that it's simply noise (of some form) added back onto the skin after it's been cloned... healed... or whatever.

Either that, or it's über sharpened skin texture used as a mask to pass through a lighter tone selectively in areas of the face.

Or maybe she just has weird skin.

Dana Beck

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Portrait Glow steps from Lee Varis video at lynda.com

Here are his steps:

1. add a "visible stamp" layer (SHIFT+ALT+COM+E) directly above your photo background layer

2. add a Gaussian blur on this stamp layer (name this layer "blur glow")--amount= 25 to 30--until you can still see the eyes

3. Now change this layer from NORMAL to OVERLAY--Layer Name = again, Blur Glow

4. ADD a CURVES adjustment layer immediately BELOW the glow layer--then bring down whites at top of diagonal to bring skin tones back. Then add a new black point approx ONE GRID UP (about one fifth of the diagonal...turn on large grid in curves options) to lighten the shadows...Layer Name=Minus Contrast. Adjust this to your liking for your pic.

5. Then, do a NEW VISIBLE STAMP above blur layer. Name it "Shad High"

6. IMAGE ADJUST | SHADOW HIGHLIGHT--in basic mode high--approx 10, shadows, approx 15--Layer Name=again, SHAD HIGH layer

7. Then, using the color probe in the INFO panel, check the numbers for face POINTS...and bring back some reds, as overlay mode tends to bring out too much yellow, so add a color adjustment (CURVES) adjust layer and bring in reds a bit (red channel) or bring down greens (green channel)--LAYER NAME = Color Fix

8. Sharpen to your liking.

Not as automated as Portraiture, but it's pretty quick once you run through it. The video is a must see, just to see a professional at work (expert series), explaining as he goes. I think you can also buy the CD if you're not a subscriber at lynda.com.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.