How do I reformat my Drobo

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Frawley, Dec 20, 2008.

1. Frawley macrumors member

Frawley

Hello,
    So I guess when I first set up my Drobo I set it up with a 2TB limit per partition. Now I want to add more drives but maintain one bigger partition and not have to start a new one.
    Has anyone done this yet and would you be willing to tell me how?
    I basically want to reformat my Drobo so I can set my limit to 8 or 16 TB limit.
    Right now my drobo is showing up as two separate 2TB partitions.

thanks a lot.
    John

2. mpshay macrumors 6502

I just did the exact same thing. Now all I need are a few 4TB driveshttp://images.macrumors.com/vb/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

Go to drobo dashboard - Click Advanced Controls button in bottom right. Select Tools tab at the top of the window. There you will see the format option.

3. lars666 macrumors 6502a

To bring up an old thread: I want to do the exact same thing - but I'm not sure: Is there any way to "re-format" the Drobo WITHOUT losing the data on it (which would be no real format, of course, but to increase the limit size I have chose with the first format), or is the only way to copy all the data to another drive, re-format the Drobo with the higher TB limit and copy all the data back to the Drobo? I'm afraid it is the second way, but just to be sure ...

4. blevins321 macrumors 68030

With the Drobo, you have to copy all the data off in order to change the max volume size. It's really unfortunate that it was designed this way.

5. lars666 macrumors 6502a

Hi blevins,

I was afraid so. it sucks, as this will cost me time (and, much worse, cause headaches where to get a hard drive that big only to store temporarily my terabytes of data), but at least I know a definite answer to that now. Thanks a lot for your reply.