How do I reformat my iMac and copy everything from my macbook across?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mrjvanquish, Dec 22, 2010.

1. mrjvanquish macrumors newbie

I used to use an iMac as my main machine, but my macbook has now taken over as I was travelling alot. I now want to wipe everything off my iMac and copy my macbook across to my iMac, so it becomes my master computer. Basically I need to free up some memory and use the desktop to control my home AV requirements (itunes, iphoto etc). I use a hardrive with Time Machine to back up my laptop, so if I plugged this into a reformatted desktop would it turn it into a copy of my laptop?
    Hope this doesn't sound too confusing....
    Thanks and merry christmas all...
    JV

2. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Yes if you format and reinstall OS X on your iMac. When you get to the point in the install process where you are asked to transfer files. Choose to restore from your time machine backup and you are good to go.

Then I would use a program like Chronosync so you can keep the two computers synchronized. These sync programs are pretty handy since I need to keep documents synced from my Macbook to Windows Desktop I use Microsofts SyncToy it is not as robust as Chronosync though. I also use Xmarks to keep my browser's bookmarks synced. Then I use GMail connected by IMAP to sync e-mail folders, contacts and calendars over my computers and iPhone.

3. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

Chronosync is good, but you can also use DropBox if you have less than 2gb (free) of stuff to sync and it doesn't matter where you are with your MacBook as long as there is wifi, it will all sync. DropBox also has paid accounts with more storage.

Otherwise ChronoSync is worth it if you wish to be 100% sync'd between both units and are home enough that you're confident that you will have enough time /remember to use it.

When you are wiping your iMac, make sure you choose the Erase & Install option. http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3910 that's a link to a good article if you're in need. Sometimes I even re-partition the drive just to be on the safe side of any potential volume header damage.

Good luck!