How do I register for Wifi Hotspots in UK

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gazfocus, Feb 10, 2009.

1. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

I bought an iPhone 3G on PAYG in the UK about a month ago and it's meant to come with unlimited Internet and Wifi but I can't find any info anywhere telling me how to register for the unlimited Wifi. Can anyone help?

2. saracen macrumors member

The free wi-fi is available in BT Openzone and The Cloud locations. The first time you go to either one of these locations and try to use your wi-fi it will ask you to register. I think you need to put in your phone number (you might need some other info not sure). Takes about a minute to register and hey presto free wifi. You only need to register once but you will need to do it at both a BT hotspot and The Cloud to use both.

HTH

3. pauld macrumors regular

Does anyone else find the BT/Cloud wifi to be more of a pain in the ass than a benefit?
    I live and commute daily within central London, yet rarely find that I automatically connect to the inclusive wifi. When I do, it's usually on the lowest bar, to the point that it doesn't load anything and I find myself having to turn off wifi so that I can access anything.
    I'm sure it's useful if you're static in a McDonalds or somewhere where there is a base-station, but that is a rarity for me.

4. sparkyms macrumors 65816

Whenever I've been at a Cloud WiFi, it's always been fricken slow, and they're usually in places where 3G is in abundance and fast... Usually a heck of a lot faster than the WiFi anyway.

But if you follow Saracen's advice, gazfocus, you will activate your WiFi.

5. synagence macrumors 6502a

I've never been that impressed with the free WiFi

When 3G is in a good area i've found it to be very fast ... WiFi seems to be quite poor .... i think the BT Openzone is better than Cloud but neither are great and i'm glad its free :)

6. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

Yep, I totally agree. 3G is faster than their poor excuse for wifi...

7. saracen macrumors member

Most of the time you are in a free Wifi zone there is usually a good 3G signal (for me anyway) so I often wonder why bother...

8. sparkyms macrumors 65816

I guess it gives you a boosted sense of value at the Point of Sale..