How do i reinstall iMac and bootcamp it?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by snejdk, Aug 22, 2014.

1. snejdk macrumors newbie

snejdk

Hi.

Seeking guidance about reinstalling Mac osX, and install bootcamp and windows 7 Enterprise 64 bit.

Bought an used iMac (27", i7, 3 TB Fusion, 16 Gb Ram, GTX 780m Gpu).
    Its installed with software from previous owner.

I want to:
    1. Make at complete reinstall to factory standard.
    2. Partition HDD to 2Tb for a Mac partition and 1 Tb for Windows partition
    3. Install Bootcamp
    4. Install Windows on the new 1 Tb partition
    5. Install Parallels

Questions:
    a. How do i reinstall iMac to Factory Standard?
    b. Can i partition the HDD without damage to the MacOS X installation?
    c. How do i move my Itunes library from my old iMac to the new one?
    d. Do i need to register anything on my new iMac at Apple?

/Jens

2. robertojorge macrumors regular

robertojorge

a. Create a Bootable OSX USB with the help of this guide (or other :) ) http://macs.about.com/od/macoperati...-Mavericks-Installer-On-A-Usb-Flash-Drive.htm

I used that method because the installation of mavericks over moutain lion left my mac very slow, after formating and installing from scracth brand new :)

b. Before you install your OS partition the drive (While in disk utility)

c. Cant help dont use iTunes

d. Im not sure if its possible if the previous owner already registed. Never bought any used so cant tell.

3. joe-h2o macrumors 6502a

Install OS X using the internet (boot from the recovery partition) and have the drive partitioned as one giant 3TB disk.

From within OS X then use bootcamp to split it into the 2TB/1TB you want, and at the same time follow the instructions to get the necessary bootcamp drivers and making a USB installer for Windows.

This process will make a 1TB partition called "BOOTCAMP" that will be unformatted (OS X can't format partitions as NTFS).

Reboot when it asks you to, and use your windows installer to format that 1TB partition and install windows on it. CAUTION: IF YOU PICK YOUR OS X PARTITION HERE THE WINDOWS INSTALLER WILL DESTROY IT - MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE RIGHT ONE!

Once windows is installed and boots you can install the bootcamp drivers. I then also suggest installing GeForce Experience from nvidia's website to keep the windows drivers for the GPU up to date.

Back on the Mac side you can install Parallels as a normal app and tell it that you have a bootcamp partition and it should be able to run it as a VM. I personally use VMWare Fusion, and it has this ability so I can't imagine parallels doesn't.

----------

Regarding iTunes you can simply move the whole folder across (before you start iTunes) and put it in the same place and the new version of iTunes will see this and just start using it.

If you've already opened iTunes, then drop the old folder in the same place as the new one and overwrite when asked - make sure iTunes is closed when you do this. iTunes always looks in the same place for its library database file and it's kept in the iTunes folder in your Music folder. Move this entire folder into the new Music folder under your home folder and iTunes will be happy.

4. snejdk thread starter macrumors newbie

snejdk

Tks

Hi Guys.

Thanks for info and help.
    Nice tip about create bootable osx usb to avoid a slow Maverics installation. Didnt know that could be an issue.

Ill go trying your suggestions theese days.

Only hurdle i need to overcome is installing my Windows. Only got a DVD from Microsoft - a little hard to put into my new iMac (no DVD drive) :)

Either i have to buy an external drive og try to figure how to put my Windows Install DVD to a USB stick... but that´s another thread/forum i guess...

Thanks.

/Jens