How do I reinstall OS X now?!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Cromulent, Sep 3, 2008.

1. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Okay I upgraded my 2006 Mac Pro with the Nvidia 8800GT card and just tried to reinstall OS X. After two kernel panics I worked out it was because it does not have the correct drivers on the disc but how am I supposed to remedy this? Do Apple offer a swap for the retail Leopard discs with one which does have the correct drivers? Putting the old card in is not really an acceptable solution.

2. darkcurse macrumors 6502a

darkcurse

Why can't you just swap the old card in for the reinstall and then update to the latest version of Leopard and swap the new card in again?

3. Cromulent thread starter macrumors 603

Cromulent

Because it is a pain in the arse? I rang Apple Care and they won't swap my original retail version of OS X for a newer one which does have the drivers. Damn it what a complete pain.

4. darkcurse macrumors 6502a

darkcurse

Just get one off the torrent sites then? Since technically you do have a legal right to it? Its a bit gray though.

5. Cromulent thread starter macrumors 603

Cromulent

I did consider that but I'm paranoid about the version being tampered with. I guess I'm just going to have to bite the bullet on this :(.

6. Amdahl macrumors 65816

I have the same issue with G5 & ATI x1900 card. You can't use the original system restore DVD unless you put back your 6600. Now that 10.5 is out, problem is mostly moot.

The price of simplicity is inflexibility.

7. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Well a pain in the arse with a solution is better than no solution at all. I personally don't see what the big deal is anyway. You are going to reinstall the OS and install the latest updates so the only thing you have to do is just change the cards again when everything is done and go on with life.

8. Cromulent thread starter macrumors 603

Cromulent

30 minutes of my life. Probably wasted that much already but hey ho.

9. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

Here's a long shot. Do you have access to another computer? You could install the OS onto an external hard drive, update that install, plug it into the Mac Pro, boot to it, and use SuperDuper to clone the external to the Mac Pro. I don't know if the updated drivers will update the OS if you don't have that particular machine at the time, so I'm not sure it will work. But it might.

10. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

What? Swapping a video card takes ONE minute, maybe 2 if you are slow.

11. Cromulent thread starter macrumors 603

Cromulent

Not really. You have to unplug everything. Move it to a better location. Open it. Take the card out and put it back together. Then put it back where it was. Maybe if you keep your computer in a nice open area then you could probably do it where it was. I can't.

12. opeter macrumors 65816

opeter

Did you finnaly made it? I mean the reinstallation?

13. Cromulent thread starter macrumors 603

Cromulent

Haven't bothered yet. Maybe at the weekend.