How do I reinstall Safari only?

EasyB

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 29, 2005
I have been using Safari for a few years and like it allot. A month ago I did a clean install of Tiger. I am also running Saft on it too. All versions are the latest. I have tried restarting Safari, Deleting Plist, Deleted Icons.

The problem is that it will work far about 10-15 min and then pages fail to load. It got better after I lost the Icons, before that I got about 5 min out of it. So I want to reinstall Safari, Without reinstalling the rest of the OS. Is this possible? OR any other ideas?

Thanks
B

ATRAX

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2005
Insert your 10.4 DVD and search for Safari. You should find a Safari.pkg file on the DVD that will allow you to install Safari by itself.

Claudia

macrumors member
ATRAX said:
Insert your 10.4 DVD and search for Safari. You should find a Safari.pkg file on the DVD that will allow you to install Safari by itself.
So i've been trying to install Apple Works 6.0 on to my iBook, I am currently running Tiger. First off, I purchased my iBok last Nov. and i only have TWO installation disks for Panther, my friend has three, am I missing a disk? Second off, when I open up the two Panther disks, all I find are the following files, "Mac OS X Installation & Bundles" "Install only bundled software" So where would i find these .pkg files?

Thanks!

Claudia

Claudia

macrumors member
yellow said:
You need to use Pacifist, as noted (and linked) earlier in the thread.
Well I am using Pacifist, so I insert my Panther disks, then I open pacifist and I click "open package." But the only files it finds are the "Install MacOSX & bundled applications" and "Install bundled applications only." So, i dont where to go from there and how to find the .pkg files. I apologize for not making that clear.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Claudia said:
Well I am using Pacifist, so I insert my Panther disks, then I open pacifist and I click "open package." But the only files it finds are the "Install MacOSX & bundled applications" and "Install bundled applications only." So, i dont where to go from there and how to find the .pkg files. I apologize for not making that clear.
Open Pacifist -> Open Package -> Navigate to Panther CD1 (or DVD) -> System/Installation/Packages/EssentialSystemSoftware.mpkg -> Click Open -> click the twisty next to Essentials -> click the twisty next to Applications -> Select Safari.app -> Click Install (at the top of the Pacifist window).

hob

macrumors 68020
Oct 4, 2003
London, UK
If you need to update to the latest Safari after getting the .App off the DVD, download 10.4.7 (newest OS X with Safari update) and run it through Pacifist again, choosing "upgrade" when it tells you you already have Safari installed.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
If you need to update to the latest Safari after getting the .App off the DVD, download 10.4.7 (newest OS X with Safari update) and run it through Pacifist again, choosing "upgrade" when it tells you you already have Safari installed.
Er, any particular reason why we're mentioning this in a year-and-a-half old thread about Safari for Panther? :confused: