Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wally13

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 28, 2013
Hello,

I love how simple and easy it is to access my home's ML server with my MBP from anywhere using AFP. I can access the server from work with my MBP without issues. But for the life of me, I'm having trouble connecting to the server using Windows 7 from work.

I would like to avoid downloading an FTP program in order to access the server from Windows. Can I somehow map network the server onto Windows 7? I made sure SMB port is open; did I miss another port that might need to be left open?

Any help in greatly appreciated. Thanks. :apple:

PrePressAcrobat

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2010
I have had to create a group with all permissions on the MAC server
then add the PC computer as a user and put it in that group.

Then use Remote Desktop on the PC.

MSD

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
But for the life of me, I'm having trouble connecting to the server using Windows 7 from work.

Many ISPs, if not most, block Windows file sharing over their networks.
Have you tested connections from Windows on your local network to be sure you have Windows file sharing set up properly on the server, just in case your ISP doesn't block it?

wally13

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 28, 2013
I have had to create a group with all permissions on the MAC server
then add the PC computer as a user and put it in that group.

Then use Remote Desktop on the PC.

MSD

Wouldn't the Administrator group be sufficient?

And I'm not exactly sure I understand what you mean by adding the PC into that group. My work's Windows 7 PC is not in my LAN.

Many ISPs, if not most, block Windows file sharing over their networks.
Have you tested connections from Windows on your local network to be sure you have Windows file sharing set up properly on the server, just in case your ISP doesn't block it?

Yep, I can see it on my Windows 8 machine just fine.

The quick and easy way I access my server via Win8 is by entering the server's local IP in Run. \\192.168.1.X. I've tried doing the same while at work but using the external IP but no dice. Not even sure if that's how I should even be accessing it.

PrePressAcrobat

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2010
Wouldn't the Administrator group be sufficient?

And I'm not exactly sure I understand what you mean by adding the PC into that group. My work's Windows 7 PC is not in my LAN.

Yep, I can see it on my Windows 8 machine just fine.

The quick and easy way I access my server via Win8 is by entering the server's local IP in Run. \\192.168.1.X. I've tried doing the same while at work but using the external IP but no dice. Not even sure if that's how I should even be accessing it.

---I thought Administrator should be OK as well
but never could get it to go.
After many attempts and wiping and re-installing ML 3 or more times
I can across this thing that worked.
Since it is working, I don't mess with that part anymore.
If worse comes to worse, ever, I will re-install Snow Leopard from an old install I have.
On the server make a group with the permissions you want.
then
Look in your PC "My Computer" properties and find the "Computer Name".
Then add that as a user on the server with the permissions you want an place it in the group.
-
Make sure on the server you tell the group and the PC to "Inherit" the properties of the shared folder.
I needed to do that to the hard drives, as well.
-I rebuilt my with an SSD and a HDD running Fusion
but ... I think it would be the same co the conventional setup.

MSD

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
That's how you'd access it, but as I said, most ISPs block Windows file sharing. I know Comcast and RCN do as it's impossible for me to connect to my Windows servers at work unless I'm on the VPN, and these are not blocked by my employer's network. It is also possible that Windows file sharing is blocked by your employer. Leaving those ports open can be a security vulnerability, and that's why they're blocked.
Edit: You can enable the VPN on your home server and that would allow Windows to access it remotely, but obviously adds complexity. Perhaps a service like Dropbox would do what you need.

PrePressAcrobat

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2010
That's how you'd access it, but as I said, most ISPs block Windows file sharing. I know Comcast and RCN do as it's impossible for me to connect to my Windows servers at work unless I'm on the VPN, and these are not blocked by my employer's network. It is also possible that Windows file sharing is blocked by your employer. Leaving those ports open can be a security vulnerability, and that's why they're blocked.
Edit: You can enable the VPN on your home server and that would allow Windows to access it remotely, but obviously adds complexity. Perhaps a service like Dropbox would do what you need.
--------

I use Microsoft Remote Desktop to remote into all on my PCs (20 or so)
and MACs (7) from home (from my MAC PRO or PC laptop) - or at work.

MSD

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
--------

I use Microsoft Remote Desktop to remote into all on my PCs (20 or so)
and MACs (7) from home (from my MAC PRO or PC laptop) - or at work.

MSD
Remote Desktop and File sharing aren't the same protocols. Microsoft RDC isn't generally blocked by ISPs.

wally13

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 28, 2013

I think you might be right about my ISP blocking ports. :( While at work, I used my MBP's Network Utility app to try and scan both SMB ports (139 & 445: http://support.apple.com/kb/ts1629) and it didn't return anything. I scanned port 548 (AFP) and voila, it gave me a result.

Looks like I may be stuck with using AFP or Dropbox in the meantime until I can get them to open those ports. They'll just want to charge me more $$$ :rolleyes:

Seeing as I haven't successfully able to connect via SMB, just to confirm, the way to connect via SMB is by using Run and entering \\domain.com or external IP, right?

I appreciate the help folks. :)

edit:
Without using a VPN can I somehow use another port as SMB?

itsamacthing

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2011
Bangkok
You can use different ports and then redirect using NAT to the correct port.

So on your router, set the external port to any port that's not blocked, say 3331 for example and then choose your protocols and then set the internal port to the correct one and then assign it to your servers internal IP. That will get you around any port blocking

I do this to give myself RDP access to an array of windows servers over a single external IP.

I do wish Apple had AFP services like back in the day

A more secure choice would be setup the ML server VPN

Also, use telnet from outside your network to test your open ports before wiping any installs

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.