How do I remotely sign into one mac from my mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by crzdcolombian, Dec 19, 2010.

1. crzdcolombian macrumors 6502a

crzdcolombian

On windows there is a remote desktop feature that I use for work and it is pretty cool. I am wondering if there is a way to do that on the mac?

My parents are up there in the years and have 0 clue how to do almost anything on their computer. Everytime they call me out of their other 4 kids for help it feels like someone is hitting me in the head with a steel chair with every question that they give.

I like to be able to sign into their imac from my macbook pro and show them exactly what to do while I guide them. I keep telling them to go to iphoto and they keep saying facebook:mad::eek:

Any recommendations would be very helpful thanks

2. r00ky macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Port forwarding VNC seems to be out of th question. ;)

goto logmein.com

I don't know what the free version includes, but it works well with MACs.

3. dangerfish macrumors 6502

Both of you can get a free iChat account and they can allow you to control their desktop during a chat. Also, if you had MobileMe, you could sign both computers into the same account and you could access their computer anytime.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I agree. TeamViewer works with Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, Ubuntu, iPhone, iPad, etc. I use it daily to support clients on a variety of OS platforms. It's very easy for the non-computer-literate to set up on the other end.

5. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

iChat is by far the easiest way. Once I got my tech ignorant mother an account all she had to do was click the iChat icon and I could remotely share her screen. It's the easiest VNC I've ever used.

6. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi