Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FF1983

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 18, 2015
I'm on iOS 8.4.1 and I don't want to update to iOS 9. Apple has pushed a notification on my Settings app, but how do I remove it?

I have deleted the iOS installation file on the device itself, but the "1" remains. I've also tried to Reset all settings, but it's still there. Lastly, I've tried restoring the device, but after being hooked up to iTunes, it pops up again. Also tried removing the installation file on my computer.

Is there anything, other than updating to iOS 9, that can remove that badge?

2tctSsK.png

e93to

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2015
Toronto
I never got notifications for iOS updates. There is a way to disable it without jailbreaking.

After reading this thread, I spent several minutes trying to figure out how I did it... But unfortunately I can't seem to remember.. Hopefully someone else would chime in.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
I never got notifications for iOS updates. There is a way to disable it without jailbreaking.

After reading this thread, I spent several minutes trying to figure out how I did it... But unfortunately I can't seem to remember.. Hopefully someone else would chime in.

Maybe never open settings? Or at least don't open the Software Update section? I'm pretty sure it comes up eventually even if you don't, though.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

Sometimes it's inconsistent and some people somehow don't get notifications about the update. But there's no way for the user to disable it short of a jailbreak tweak.

e93to

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2015
Toronto
Maybe never open settings? Or at least don't open the Software Update section? I'm pretty sure it comes up eventually even if you don't, though.

I do open settings multiple times each day. Last Wednesday, I even went to Software Update to read about details for iOS 9.

Furthermore, I never got update notifications for iOS 8.3, 8.4 and 8.4.1 either.

I have a 5S btw.

e93to

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2015
Toronto
Sometimes it's inconsistent and some people somehow don't get notifications about the update. But there's no way for the user to disable it short of a jailbreak tweak.

Ah really? I thought I did something to disable the alert for iOS updates. Thank god mine doesn't do notifications for iOS update.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.