Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kered

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 3, 2007
Ireland
Hi all !!

New here to the Mac Forum.

Just joined up today, but didn’t think I’d be in trouble already, needing to open a “Help Thread” but I’m in a bit of a bind :(

I have VmWare Fusion installed on my iMac & have loaded up XP Pro.

However I’ve found that I can’t register / activate the Windows installation I have, due to an incorrect activation key.

So I’d like to remove the virtual machine from my iMac & start out with a clean install with another Windows disk, that I know I have the correct key for.

I see that I can uninstall VmWare Fusion, but doing that will still leave the virtual machine intact, taking up HD space.

Is there a solution or am I now stuck with 20 Gigs of space wasted on my HD & will have to install another virtual machine, thereby using even more HD space :confused: :(

Any & all help greatly appreciated !

“Kered” :)

Edited to add:-

Just did a search & found this recomendation.....

"Delete the VM from the list in the VMware Virtual Machine Library and then remove the file from your ~/Documents/Virtual Machines directory."

Does that do the trick ???

Will the HD space taken up by the VM now be freed up for future use ??

Cheers !

Slumbercub

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2006
Gloucester, England
If I remember, VM Fusion gives you the option to remove it. Failing that, there should be a folder that contains the Windows OS and other files, it is in Documents I think. Just delete that.

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
your user folder /Documents/Virtual Machines

it's in there.

Trash > empty trash.

Sorted.

Remember, VMs don't take up the entire 20Gb from the start - they only use the space on the HDD they need, up to a max of 20Gb (or other limit you set), so with a bare XP install, you're looking at a loss of only 1.3Gb or so.

kered

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 3, 2007
Ireland
Cheers for the replies :D

If I remember, VM Fusion gives you the option to remove it..............

VM Fusion only seems to allow you remove the listing for the Virtual Machine, but not allow you totally trash the installation of the op sys.

bigandy said:
your user folder /Documents/Virtual Machines

it's in there.

Trash > empty trash.

Sorted.

I've followed that procedure & trashed the file under "Virtual Machines"

So that should have rid me of the installaion.

By simpy deleating the folder, will that give me back the partioned HD pscae taken up by the instalation, or is that gone forever ??

darwinist

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2004
Amsterdam, Netherlands
Reply long overdue

No one has responded to this query yet?

If you use VMware Fusion with virtual machines, and you delete the virtual machines, you get your space back. If you have designated a part of your harddisk to Windows using BootCamp, and you accessed it using VMware Fusion, then deleting the virtual machines won't get you your partitioned space back, no.

Rgds David

Moof1904

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2004
The new fusion allows you to delete the VM files from within the VM listing window.

StephenS71

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2012
Issues with Parallels - Removing Virtual Machine

I installed parallels and then uninstalled it. The virtual screen is still there. I deleted the folder parallels from documents, and my screen is still split. It's really bothering me. Can anyone help? I dont have the software anymore but my screen is split.

Can anyone help???

Thanks!

Nov 28, 2010
located
I installed parallels and then uninstalled it. The virtual screen is still there. I deleted the folder parallels from documents, and my screen is still split. It's really bothering me. Can anyone help? I dont have the software anymore but my screen is split.

Can anyone help???

Thanks!

What do you mean with the "screen is split"?

Anyway, as far as I know, a virtual machine is stored inside Macintosh HD / Users / YOU / Documents / Virtual Machines.
If not, use one of the following free applications to find out, where you storage capacity is being used:
Maybe try a combination of several, if you still can't find the "missing" capacity.

chuck333

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2012

Can anyone help???

Thanks!

I don't know about the Split Screen problem at all??? lol, but you could try deleting the virtual machines. I noticed after I updated Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion, it Uninstalled Parallels out of my Installed Apps.. I figured out, all you have to do is (Spotlight)> ".pvm" Click, Show All in Finder, Grab .pvm('s) and Move to Trash. They are the Virtual Machines. Hope that helps. You may have to Reinstall your OS to fix any problems after that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.