How do I remove apps from LaunchPad?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by markw10, Aug 15, 2011.

1. markw10 macrumors 6502

I just upgraded to OS X Lion last night and one of the first features I wanted to try out was the LaunchPad.
    At first I thought I wouldn't like it but I actually like it more than I expected but the only problem for me is it's very cluttered.

For one thing, I have quite a number of apps that are showing up twice. What is causing apps to show up twice and is there a way I can safely remove one without moving the actual app from my computer so that I can still use the app and have it just showing up once?

Next, there are a few apps I'd rather remove from LaunchPad? Some of these are OS X apps such as iChat, Facetime, etc. and others are some apps I've installed. I have seen some instructions on Google about removing apps from LaunchPad but it appears that only works if the app was installed from the Mac App Store.

Thank you for your help.

2. stefan1975 macrumors 6502a

i had two apps of the stock apple included application in launch pad too when i upgraded my MBP to lion GM. I think it has to do something with the version or language of SL versus Lion. When i did a clean install afterwards all doubles were gone.

as far as i know you can't remove non app store apps from launched in a normal way. i think there might be some tools that hide stuff. i just worked around it and dragged some apps i didn't want to see into a folder together.

3. rossip macrumors regular

I have two iDVD icons after doing a clean install of Lion and reinstalling iDVD. Are the duplicate apps from apple? I think it may have something to do with the fact that iDVD is considered a software update even though you install it from a DVD. I believe this is a fairly widespread issue since I remember seeing a post about it on apples forums.