How do I remove deleted apps from System Prefs

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Pndrgnsvc, Oct 30, 2013.

1. Pndrgnsvc macrumors 6502

Pndrgnsvc

My problem is that apps which I have deleted are still being reflected in System Preferences/Privacy:
    • In Contacts, AOL Desktop appears
    • In Location Services, iStumbler appears

Even though I used AppDelete to delete those apps, some file must remain so that the Privacy function thinks they are still installed. Subsequent searches for remnants with EasyFind were unsuccessful.

I presume System Preferences/Privacy must peg on something, some folder/file in order to know what Apps are (or were) installed. But I don’t know where to look. I am hoping that were I able to identify that particular folder/file, the rest would be easy.

Suggestions most welcome and appreciated.

2. Sankel macrumors member

3. drew627 macrumors regular

Did you even try that yourself?... Do it

4. Sankel macrumors member

5. Pndrgnsvc thread starter macrumors 6502

Pndrgnsvc

There are so many skillful and talented folks here 'bouts. Quite surprised says moi, that some clever chap or chapette has yet to solve the problem...

6. syobwoc macrumors member

syobwoc

I usually use AppCleaner to clean out stuff from my system prefs. I usually find them in the "others" tab/section. Hope this helps!

linky

7. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

Why didn't right-clicking work? I've used it the past.

I get the appropriate menu - "Remove [App] from Preferences pane..." but I can't try it out because I don't have any apps I want to remove...

8. Pndrgnsvc, Oct 31, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2013

Pndrgnsvc thread starter macrumors 6502

Pndrgnsvc

Some progress. The right click worked with the iStumbler, but not with the AOL Desktop (the lock is open). So indeed many thanks.

Still, there must be a solution. But why Control + Click worked with iStumbler but not AOL desktop I find most frustrating.

9. Pndrgnsvc thread starter macrumors 6502

Pndrgnsvc

Tomorrow, after this evening's goblins have returned whence they came, I may try to reinstall AOL Desktop. And then use AppCleaner in hopes that the miscreant files can are deleted, or at least their location identified.

10. Pndrgnsvc thread starter macrumors 6502

Pndrgnsvc

Problem solved!

Control+Clicking removed the iStumbler, but not the AOL Desktop. So I thought it was worth trying the Control+Click routine while in Safe Boot. But when I got there, AOL Desktop was also gone. And after a normal boot as well.

I am not complaining about the resolution, though there is much I don’t understand.