How do I remove en executable script that won't allow my computer to shut down?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Hockeynut17, Dec 14, 2008.

1. Hockeynut17 macrumors newbie

I have an iMac G5 running OS X 10.3.9. I am unable to shut my system down without using the power button at the back. This computer has been a bit of a lemon having gone through 4 logic boards already and I can't get this program/application off of my computer. The program is called .ComcastBoot and when I try to shut down the computer, it pops up in the top applications bar and will continue to time out. I can't force quit it or anything. Has anyone seen this before?

2. Sorkvild macrumors 6502

When did you first notice this .Comcastboot? Is it an icon in the dock? Can you force quit it? Also does it appear in the Activity Monitor?

Just trying to figure out what it is exactly.

3. Sayer macrumors 6502a

Sayer

Before turning the computer off locate "ComcastBoot" using the Find command in the Finder. Move "ComcastBoot" to the Trash.

Then shutdown the computer.

An application can't run from the trash, and that should short-circuit it and let you restart and trash it once and for all.

4. Hockeynut17 thread starter macrumors newbie

There is an icon in the bottom toolbar that looks like a script. The only time this application becomes present is when I try to shut my computer down. I have tried to force quit it and it will spin until it times out.

Where is the activity monitor?

This problem has been here for quite a while, at least a couple of years. My computer was out of commission for the last two years due to the logic board issues.

5. Hockeynut17 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have tried to locate it with the find feature and it can't locate it

6. G-Com macrumors regular

Better yet, first try booting into Safe Mode and trashing the file.

Restart and hold down SHIFT until the desktop comes up.

7. Sorkvild macrumors 6502

When it appears in the Dock (the toolbar, unless you are talking about something else), can you right click it and select Show in Finder?

8. Hockeynut17 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes. It sends me to the home application that has my name as a label. I can't find it anywhere in there. When I click on it when it is located at the top of my screen, it says it is a script application.