How do i remove the disk icon after downloading a program?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by stevefo, Jul 1, 2013.

1. stevefo macrumors regular

stevefo

Please bare with me as I'm new to Macs and OSX. I have a late 2012 iMac 27" and I love it! When I download a program it shows up in downloads. I open it up and it installs the program. I then have a disk icon on my desktop of the program. I just want to keep the downloaded program in my downloads and install it in launcher. I don't want the damn disk icon on my desktop. How do I do this?

2. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

Move the application to your Applications folder. Then right click on the disk icon on your desktop and click Eject. Those icons you are seeing are disk images, and Mac treats them similar to an actual disk.

3. stevefo thread starter macrumors regular

stevefo

Sweet! Thank You! I'm learning slowly.

4. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

Don't worry about it. 4 years ago I was right where you are, trying to figure out why Mac works so weird. Today you couldn't pay me to own a Windows laptop. Granted thats not the case for everyone. Different strokes and all that.

5. stevefo thread starter macrumors regular

stevefo

I had many PC's all my life. I bought a mac mini to test the waters. After a few days I returned the mini and jumped feet first into an iMac and OSX. Sold all my PC stuff and monitors on ebay and here i am. I don't regret it at all.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios