Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

breakdown77

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2009
You may be wondering why i'm asking this... well its because I am trying to expose the heatsink to a little external fan mod i'm making in my imac g5 (overheating problem; I'll post my method later). I got the "G5" "cover" off fine but there is another metal cover over the heatsink that I can't figure out how the heck to remove. It almost looks like it is surrounded by "spring" type holders, as well as special silver tape. It also feels like i'm tugging the whole processor/heatsink unit when I (gently) try to pry it off.

Anyone have experience removing this sort of thing?

rtrt

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2008
i've seen some other sites which show that others have cut it off.

presumably done with some kind of tin snips - look like tough scissors where the handles are long and the blades are short

think one of them might have said something about - you can remove it properly if you remove the logic board and access it from the other side - sounded like a lot of work tho

-----------------
actually think there's someone on here who's done it - have a search for posts in the last few weeks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.